Traverse City MI Vacancy Rate

1 Reply

I am looking at buying my first rental property and debating between a single family or VR.  I would appreciate any advice anyone can give on benefits of one over the other.  based on my initial evaluations it looks like a VR would generate more cash flow but I am making some assumptions on the vacancy rate and not sure how accurate they are.  I am looking at properties in the Traverse City MI area.  I know that it will be seasonal and I am assuming a 20% vacancy in the peak season and 80% vacancy in the off season.  does any one have experience in this area, or another seasonal area that I could use for a starting point?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler

I have a coworker with a place near Petoskey and they have close to 100% in peak season. They are on a lake. They also get winter rentals because they are only about 30 minutes from Boyne. I have considered it, as they say they do pretty good, but for them it is less of a cash flow investment than a way to have others pay for their vacation property.

It is something we absolutely intend on doing at some point.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.