• Investor
  • Rocklin, CA
Votes |
The Sad Story Cancelled Booking Request

Jon Crosby
  • Investor
  • Rocklin, CA
Posted Jun 23 2017, 09:28

This has only happened a few times to me but thought I would share with the group and see how others handle this situation.  Had a guest scheduled to check in today and get an email late last night that their father is in the hospital and they would not be able to make it this weekend and curious if they could have a refund, even though they specifically signed that there was no refunds without the insurance.  The email was well written and my heart really went out to them due to their situation.  Sure, part of me thought, is it true, is there some other situation that took place and they were not being honest about the need to cancel, etc. etc.  

Normally if they contacted me with enough time, I would usually help them out and open the dates back and re-book without much issue.  Worst case, I can do one of my Facebook promotions and get somebody in pretty quickly as well. But, this was the night before and there is no way I was going to get a paying guest in that fast AND it's a summer guaranteed booking weekend!  What to do...

I approached it this way but would love others feedback on what they have done in this situation (even if that's just saying 'tough luck' to the guest).  I told the guest I could not refund them for this weekend BUT, I would happy to offer them a free weekend in the off season on any non-holiday weekend to come back and enjoy the weekend they missed out on.  I surrounded it with sincere empathy and wished them best of luck and how to contact me if/when they chose to take me up on my offer.  

They responded and said they appreciated the gesture but were now going to go back and talk to the group and see if she really does want to cancel or not.  Hmmm...well, either way I was happy with what I offered and allowed me to sleep that night at least.  

What have you done in these situations? 

Cheers! 

~Jon 

Loading replies...