Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Ashley Wolfe
  • Realtor
  • Bedford, TX
Votes |
How much do you disclose in your Airbnb/HomeAway descriptions?

Ashley Wolfe
  • Realtor
  • Bedford, TX
Posted Nov 3 2018, 07:07

I tend to over-describe and give way too much detail.  I'm a teacher, I can't help it.

So, when I was at my cabin last weekend, cleaning for the photo shoot, I couldn't help but notice that my immediate next door neighbor has a dog that barked nearly all day on Saturday but then was completely silent on Sunday.  There was also a LOT of gunshots we heard coming from far away.  It was coming from a 22-acre training center that is just down the road.  

So much for the "tranquil getaway" that I'm trying to turn into a business.  All I could think of was how pissed a guest would be if I sold them a "quiet and peaceful" log cabin in the woods only for them to drive up, get out of their car and notice the constant barking of my neighbor's dog.  What the hell do I do?

I could disclose this in my description because it may not bother some guests to the point of not booking.  Or I could NOT disclose it and hope for the best.  I just don't want to catch anyone off-guard and have a review that said their stay was ruined by a dog that is barking constantly.

Do I talk to this neighbor about his dog and try to offer a solution? Do I call the HOA (which is really just a "maintenance corp" that maintains the roads in the little neighborhood)? This neighbor of mine is the town hoarders and they like to hoard their cars/trucks/campers in FRONT of their house, which is right next door to my cabin. Sheesh! When does it stop?

Loading replies...