Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Who does their own plumbing at their STR?

Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Posted Aug 19 2019, 06:58

What was your biggest or most complex job?  For me it was adding a 40 gallon gas hot water heater to an existing 40 gallon electric electric.  I had a spare gas heater sitting around collecting dust.  The house was a 2BR with 3 real beds and 2 sofa beds.  I plumbed the gas supply line and the cold water inlet to the gas heater, routed hot water out of the gas heater into the electric heater, then installed the vent through the roof to vent the exhaust.  Gas heat is much cheaper than electric heat.  The gas heater heats up the cold water.  The electric heater keeps the hot water hot.

My 2nd biggest job was installing the hot/cold and sewer lines for 2 clothes washers that I put in a kitchen.

User Stats

Votes
George W.
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Replied Aug 20 2019, 14:38

i do plumbing & HVAC for a living and I'll tell you the customers we make the most money off of are the ones who tried to diy and messed it up badly. Especially when it comes to permits and dealing with code compliance

User Stats

Votes
Pat L.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Upstate, NY
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Upstate, NY
Replied Aug 20 2019, 14:49

Amused by all the HW tank discussions. I gave up on them years ago & install on-demand NG HW systems instead. Easier to install a 60lb unit, costs less, takes a lot less space, direct PVC venting (no need to maintain a chimneys), easy simple flush maintenance every year & the oldest we have is a 10 year old Jacuzzi & still running great. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Daryl Anderson
  • Contractor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Aug 20 2019, 18:16

@Maugno M. - I don't think you have a gas valve problem.  The water heater only HEATS the cold water that enters the tank.  When there is water pressure coming in from the street, and your water heater valve is open (should be on the cold side of the line coming into your water heater), you should be getting water, heater or not into your faucet.  You have a plumbing problem.  Yes, you may also have a water heater problem as well.