Votes
Thadeous Larkin
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
New Colorado Springs STR Ordinance Proposal

Thadeous Larkin
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Posted Sep 18 2019, 12:24

If you've spoken with me for more than 10 minutes, you know I'm a big fan of STRs and AirBnB as both a host (SuperHost, in fact, nbd, just a celebrity here) and as a traveler.  I find that STRs are a great way to experience a city and stay someplace fun and unique.

The Colorado Springs City Council, however, doesn't seem to share my enthusiasm. If you've spoken to me for more than 15 minutes, you know that from atop my soapbox I have loudly proclaimed that the minute any Government starts talking about "reasonable regulations" on an activity, they are just talking about the thin edge of the axe and are using them to break down the door. Colorado Springs instituted their first STR regulations last year. And here comes the new proposal.

Today I received an email from the Colorado Springs City Planner notifying me of a public hearing for a new proposed "density" ordinance for STRs.  (credit where credit is due, good on the City for going out of their way to alert me to this travesty...they could have just snuck it into some vague public notice, but they specifically emailed me about it.  Also, credit to me for giving credit to them).

The upshot is that Colorado Springs is considering Manitou Springs-like regulations that prevent STRs from being close together.

I'll post the body of the email below so you can see what all it entails.  I can also offer my thoughts on the subject if anyone is actually interested and can go (I'll be in Chicago and unable to attend).  So if someone wants to be my proxy, I'll fire off my thoughts:

FULL EMAIL BELOW

You are receiving this email as you are either the owner of a property with an active short term rental permit and/or were the applicant for an active short term rental permit.

In an effort to be informative and transparent, the City Council has asked Staff to explore potential Code amendments addressing occupancy and permit density limitations. The proposed amendments will be presented at public hearing next Tuesday, September 24th in City Hall starting at 10:00 am. Interested parties should use the following link for more detailed information at the following link – https://coloradosprings.gov/city-council - after it is posted this Friday.

The meeting will begin at 10:00 am, but I am not sure what the order of presentations will be. Please be aware the order of presentations is established through the agenda.

To hit the high points of the differences between the existing ordinance vs proposed ordinances –

Current Ordinance

Occupancy

Occupancy is limited to no more than 5 unrelated individuals OR no more than 16 related individuals acting as one living unit.

Density

There are currently no density regulations for STRs.

Proposed Ordinances

Occupancy

“Maximum overnight occupancy of a short term rental unit shall be limited to two (2) occupants over the age of twelve (12) per bedroom.”

Permit Density

Three options will be presented –

1. Five-lot separation between issued permits;

2. Limited the number of permits on a block face;

3. 500’ buffer spacing.

*Note if any density ordinance amendment is approved, all permits that were issued previous to the City Council meeting will be grandfathered.*

As the meeting is a public hearing, anyone is welcome to speak in support or opposition regarding the proposed amendments.

Thank you all for being a part of the STR Program.

Loading replies...