Skip to content
California Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Jeff L.
  • Investor
  • Pope Valley, CA
Votes |
Real estate investor-friendly CPA in Southern California?

Jeff L.
  • Investor
  • Pope Valley, CA
Posted Nov 18 2015, 03:54

I acquired a couple of rentals this year and have a 9-5 job. Pretty simple. I'd like to have a CPA in socal/orange county that is familiar with real estate investing (and all the tax deductions and benefits that come with it) to do my taxes next year.

Knowledge of business entities for real estate investors would be a bonus.

Any recommendations? And if possible, a ballpark cost for that CPA.

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Hall
Tax & Financial Services
  • CPA
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • CPA
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Nov 18 2015, 04:16

@Jeff L. I'm sure you've seen me post about this before, but don't be afraid to go non-local. You will expose yourself to a wider pool of expertise which is critical for real estate investors.

Many of us service clients all over the US and even world. We utilize various forms of technology to collaborate seamlessly with our clients and rarely have issues.

If you are set on using someone local, search the BP forums for investors local to you and reach out to ask for a referral. Or join a local FaceBook/ REIA group.

Without knowing your situation, it's impossible to know how much you'll pay, but you can probably expect the bill to be around $500. Of course, that's likely minuscule compared to the money a good CPA will save you.

Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Steven Hamilton II
Pro Member
  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent
  • Grayslake, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent
  • Grayslake, IL
Replied Nov 18 2015, 08:21

As for an accountant do not feel like you need to use someone local. Many of us accountants have clients worldwide. Payroll, bookkeeping, etc can mostly be done remotely.

Here is a great list of questions to ask a potential accountant:http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/70447-questions-to-ask-a-cpa

Also check out the www.NAEA.org page in your search. It should help you find someone local. If someone comes to me, I'll send them your way.

If you need help in your search or want to verify something don't hesitate to ask.

For example: I have clients worldwide and things are just as easy as I e-mail them, talking on the phone. I even use Skype and TeamViewer to communicate with clients so I'd highly recommend looking for one of the best with great references that interviews well with you.

So look for someone you can connect with that works out for your situation.

Feel free to ask here if you have questions.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Arpad Racz
  • Mountain View, CA
Votes |
  • Mountain View, CA
Replied Mar 28 2016, 12:22

This is a great request. I would also like to see if there are any Investor Friendly CPA's in Northern California.

Kind regards,

Arpad

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Martinez
Pro Member
  • Owner
  • Downey, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Owner
  • Downey, CA
Replied May 8 2016, 22:53

This is great information. Thanks guys!

Tommy

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Wong
  • Commercial Mortgage Banker
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Commercial Mortgage Banker
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 11 2016, 00:36

There is a CPA, Amanda Han, who is pretty involved in BP who also release a real estate tax strategies book through Education > Books/Resources. Her office is located in Fullerton, CA which is not too far from you in Irvine. A little pricey though, but perhaps you get what you pay for.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Xie
  • Investor
  • Southern California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Southern California
Replied May 11 2016, 04:05

Great post and useful info.

User Stats

Votes
StevieAnn Nance
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Mar 11 2019, 14:23

@Jeff L. Did you ever find a good CPA.  I'm located in San Diego and am looking for a CPA highly qualified in Real Estate. I'm a beginner with 3 rentals, about to close on my 4th, so I'm looking for someone fairly affordable who I can grow with. 

User Stats

Votes
Katie L.
  • Attorney and CPA
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Attorney and CPA
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Mar 11 2019, 20:11

@StevieAnn Nance

I work with a ton of qualified CPAs in the San Diego area, proficient in real estate. Let me know if you’re interested in their names.

User Stats

Votes
StevieAnn Nance
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Mar 27 2019, 11:47

@Katie L. Absolutely!  Shoot me a DM. 

User Stats

Votes
Paul Warren
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 18 2022, 18:43

Next question - what about CPA or Tax Preparer who knows the creative finance side of investing? Specifically, the tax implications of seller finance? Any suggestions?

I'm looking at a multi-res in San Diego, but the seller wants to understand the tax strategy

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 25 2022, 11:23
Quote from @Katie L.:

@StevieAnn Nance

I work with a ton of qualified CPAs in the San Diego area, proficient in real estate. Let me know if you’re interested in their names.

Hi, I'd love to have their names as well if available. Thank you,

User Stats

Votes
Arash Motedaeiny
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 18 2022, 16:09

Hi Katie how are you? Can you send me the CPA’s please I would appreciate it 

New Western logo
New Western
|
Sponsored
Exclusive Off-Market Properties For Your Investment Strategies The Largest Private Source of Investment Properties In The Nation. Find Your Next Rehab Project

User Stats

Votes
Michael Shepherd
  • Investor
  • United States
Votes |
  • Investor
  • United States
Replied Jan 18 2023, 10:43

Hello, @StevieAnn Nance or @Katie L. do you still have contacts for a CPA in the REI world? I would love their contacts if possible, it would be much appreciated thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Nate Meeker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Real Estate CPA | California
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Real Estate CPA | California
Replied May 28 2023, 22:10
Quote from @Paul Warren:

Next question - what about CPA or Tax Preparer who knows the creative finance side of investing? Specifically, the tax implications of seller finance? Any suggestions?

I'm looking at a multi-res in San Diego, but the seller wants to understand the tax strategy

I am currently taking on new clients in SoCal (Based in Temecula). If you or someone you know would like to double-check that their tax advisor is providing optimal services for a competitive price, reach out. Thank you!

Nate Meeker, CPA
951-383-4747