Votes
Terence J.
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
California Bill to kill the Costa-Hawkins Act

Terence J.
  • Oakland, CA
Posted Mar 10 2017, 12:31

There is a bill currently in the state legislature to end the Costa-Hawkins act.   For those not aware Costa-Hawkins affords certain protections to property owners in California.  The most important are:

1) No rent control on buildings built after 1995.

2) No rent control on single family properties.

3) Ability to reset rent to market rate after a rent controlled tenant moves out voluntarily.

The bill being considered AB 1506 (Bloom) is drafted to revoke these protections. The stated goal is to make housing more affordable.  My feeling is this misses the mark entirely as the only thing that will make housing more affordable is more supply and this is a huge disincentive to build new housing. It also is being passed at the expense of rental property owners.

If you do not want Costa-Hawkins act protections revoked call your state Assembly Member where you live or own property.  I am listing the local ones to me below.  All you need to say is the bill AB 1506 (Bloom) and that you want them to vote no.  They will not ask you why you are opposed.

Call BEFORE March 14th.

Asm. Catharine Baker

916 3192016

Walnut Creek, San Ramon, Dublin, Livermore, Pleasanton

Asm. Timothy Grayson

916 3192014

Vallejo, Benicia, Martinez, Concord, Pleasant Hill, Pittsburg
Asm. Rob Bonta (Co-sponsor)
916 3192018
Oakland, Alameda, San Leandro

Asm. Kansen Chu

916 3192025

Fremont, Newark, Milpitas, San José, Santa Clara, Leandro
Asm. Jim Frazier 916 3192011Antioch, Bethel Island, Birds Landing, Brentwood, Byron, Collinsville, Discovery Bay, Fairfield, Isleton, Knightsen, Locke, Oakley, Pittsburg, Rio Vista, Suisun City, Travis AFB, Vacaville, Walnut Grove
Asm. Bill Quirk 916 3192020Hayward, Union City, Castro Valley, San Lorenzo, Ashland, Cherryland, Fairview, Sunol, North Fremont

Asm. Tony Thurmond 916 3192015

Hercules, Pinole, San Pablo, Richmond, El Cerrito, Albany, Piedmont, Berkeley, Oakland
Asm. David Chiu

415 5573013

San Francisco
Asm. Phil Ting

415 5572312

San Francisco

Thanks,

Terence

Loading replies...