Skip to content
California Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Tyler D.
Votes |
I want to invest in the Bay Area and have 500k to worth with.

Tyler D.
Posted Feb 26 2021, 00:04

I'm currently going through a career change and living in the bay area. As I'll be working in tech, this is where I plan to stay for a longer time. I am retraining and not working yet, and have 500k in cash.

I'd like to buy a property to live in but have a relatively small amount of cash compared to the prices of homes here. I'd like to know from those that live here:

1) Is it worth investing in the Bay Area now? There is a lot of talk about Austin/Seattle/NYC, but the SFbay still appears to be the leader in the tech scene. What's unclear is if that trend will continue.

2) Assuming no limits on buying power, which would be the preferred property types to buy? I may be wrong on this, but condos seem like a rip-off despite being cheap. Their price/sqft is not great, and some condo fees are downright criminal. Long term, I think it would be preferable to have an SFH or 1-4 unit that I own completely, but I'd like to hear what you think offers the best bang for the buck.

2b) Thoughts on buying raw land and doing construction? I've seen several plots in the low hundred thousands, even some below 100k. It seems you could conceivably build a brand new home for a relatively low price.

3) Playing off of number 2, can you buy anything that would make a good investment with 500k? Would I be better off waiting several years and buying something with a tech salary?

Thanks for the advice!

Loading replies...