Modular Homes Southern Colorado

12 Replies

Hi everyone,

I am closing on a lot in Pueblo that is zoned for a duplex. I am considering having a modular duplex built on the property and would like to know if anyone has recommendations or experience with a modular home builders in the area.

I am not closed of to a typical stick and frame style build but unsure of the time and cost difference between the two approaches.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Charles 

looked into this a bit myself. Clayton homes in Pueblo says 4-6 months to set the home.  You don't make a payment until it's set which is nice.  The lady said the high end of a modular home is $82 sq/ft. 

WE did some resesarch on these last year.  Explored multiple Modular places.  Most, were sales related, but the most knowledgable & helpful,was the place in Calhan, Co.  They seemed to know the ins and outs sooo much better than any of the other dealerships, right down to the details of what would be required per county,  the specifics for putting it on a basement vs foundation, and I just totally had the feeling they had Been There, Done That, and could totally help us through.  We didnt follow through at that time, but I'd sure recommend checking with them.

@Reese C. so I don't have specific information for your question but a few thoughts to consider. Start with the entity that you would have to get a building permit from. Some do not allow modulars in practice (they may say yes but after you get done jumping through all the hoops you get tired and give up before they grant you the needed permits. They haven't caught the idea that a modular is different from a Mobile Home. 

Duplex modular - Unless you are talking two separate structures on one lot, I haven't heard of that animal. One of the advantages of modulars is the one size fits all approach. A duplex would either be a highly modified SFR or a very odd duck. I thing that by the time you get through the process of modifying the out of the box design by the manufacturer you will find that going stick built is a better option.

I would definitely like to know of a builder that furnishes a modular duplex. I am working a project that could use one of those.

@Reese C. I agree with @Bill S. that a duplex modular may not exist. I know modulars are popular (mainly because people have a hard time envisioning a house from just a set of plans) but in all honesty I'm not sure that the cost per square foot is that different from stick built and frankly, I don't like how most of them look from the outside (that's a personal preference). I can also tell you that for resale down the road you will widen your buying audience if it is not a modular.  I'd get some stick built pricing too.

It seems many of you have this impression that modular homes are only off-the-shelf products. You can get custom modular structures built. They can take any form. Modular duplexes certainly do exist. I might challenge you all that our built environment probably isn't best served by the same building being placed everywhere. Modular is a big term with a lot of benefits if it can work for you. On a small scale like a duplex it's seldom less expensive but should always be faster leading to faster occupancy, less general conditions and less financing costs. 

Duplex and larger multifamilies most definitely do exist.  Take a look at these homes.  

https://www.drivealittlesavealot.com/homebuilders/...

I don't think they are unattractive.  Garages, multistory.  And I also disagree that they fail to hold value.  One of my first homes in this area, was a double wide modular on a raised ranch foundtation.  (modulars can be put on a foundation, crawl space or basement.)  I bought it for $135K, refi'd in a year for $175K (conventional mortgage as it is not classified as a "trailer") and current value on that property now per zillow is $503K

Hey there, When my wife and I were looking to purchase our first home we looked into the modular option. From what I researched I was not seeing the Clayton homes getting good reviews. People were saying if a problem came up with the home Clayton wasn’t very slow about addressing the issues. The people in Callahan, CO at Accolade Homes have a ton of experience putting up homes and the set up costs and calculated into the home. We ended up buying an existing home but just down the street someone put a house from Accolade and it seemed like the process went fairly quick and ive heard great things about the quality of the BellaVista/BonnaVilla homes. I would definitely check them out and give them a call. Hope this helps! 

Originally posted by @Terre B. :

Duplex and larger multifamilies most definitely do exist.  Take a look at these homes.  

https://www.drivealittlesavealot.com/homebuilders/...

I don't think they are unattractive.  Garages, multistory.  And I also disagree that they fail to hold value.  One of my first homes in this area, was a double wide modular on a raised ranch foundtation.  (modulars can be put on a foundation, crawl space or basement.)  I bought it for $135K, refi'd in a year for $175K (conventional mortgage as it is not classified as a "trailer") and current value on that property now per zillow is $503K

What time frame was that appreciation? Going from $135k to $503k? @Terre B.

I bought for $135K, 1997. 1998, I did my own version of BRRR for $175K. (Bought, rehabbed, refi'd) somewhere in early 2000's , I refied again for $250k or so. (Memory sucks.)

Current value, est on zillow is ~$500K.  

Its probably in a C class area.  its a flagpole lot, with one side on a major thoroughfare.  Its next to excel right of way with huge towers.  To be honest, I question zillow, but what do I know? My point was, its not a trailer that will depreciate in value.  I had big plans of converting from a 3500 sq ft SF, to a triplex.  Before I met up with the City of Lakewood.  

Another lesson learned.