Colorado Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Drew Walters
Votes |
College and planning for future investments

Drew Walters
Posted Dec 14 2021, 21:35

I’m a 17 year old and I am going to be a real estate investor when I’m older. I’m feeling pressure to go to college but I’m wondering if it is truly worth pursuing? Could the money be spent better? If college is the better option in your opinion what majors are best?

Thank you all, it means a lot to me!

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Dec 15 2021, 06:45

@Drew Walters There's always conversation about college, tuition prices, debt, and risk vs. reward. It's become very clear over the years (especially since COVID) education is over priced. It's remarkable young students continue to sign up for high price colleges but the experiences gain are invaluable. I travel the country, got exposure to different industries, and figure out what jobs I didn't want to work. If I could go back in time I'd still GO TO COLLEGE but I'd have a better plan. I could have knocked out some prerequisites at a cheaper school. Most of them would have transferred saving me tons of money. 

I'd not attend college if you have ZERO IDEA what career field you want to enter. That's the fastest way to rack up college debt (changing majors) and stop any meaningful post college investing including but not limited to real estate. If you're in college real estate in not a wise investment. It's time consuming owning and managing rentals. It's a part time job point blank. Networking, market research, and trading a few stocks makes more sense. REI should be a long term goal unless you're rich and plan to cash-flow college. Have at it.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Sheeks
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 15 2021, 08:54

@Drew Walters Hey Drew! Bigger Pockets just released the book First to a Million: A Teenager's Guide to Achieving Early Financial Independence and you should DEFINITELY check it out! In that book there are two chapters about whether you should go to college or not and how to do college if you are pursuing early FI.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes