Votes
Arnie Clark
  • Dacono, CO
Votes |
How to evict someone in ADAMS COUNTY, Colorado Updated 2018

Arnie Clark
  • Dacono, CO
Posted May 9 2018, 12:33

This was originally done by another member named James. After having to start down this road i figured it needed a little more information so I added the actual form numbers and a little more info to include the websites. ~Arnie

ADAMS COUNTY FORMS can be found at the following website: https://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/Forms_List.cf...

1. Post 3-day notice (take photo of notice on door). Use JDF 101 - Demand for Compliance or Right to Possession Notice

2. After 3-day notice has expired, You have to file the following 3 forms (found online) at the Adams County Justice Center. If you print the forms out from ONLINE, they WILL NOT accept double sided forms. You need to print SINGLE SIDE forms only.

1. JDF 101 - Demand for Compliance or Right to Possession Notice (you need a exact copy of what you posted on the property and took a picture of.)

2. CRCCP 1A - Summons in Forcible Entry & Unlawful Detainer

3. CRCCP 3 - Answer Under Simplified Civil Procedure

Window #8 at the ADAMS COUNTY JUSTICE CENTER. You will receive the court date at that time. They advised me that you need to line up someone to serve your tenants. Either the Sheriff's department (located downstairs they will direct you there, takes 2 weeks to serve them) or a company (could take 1-2 weeks to serve them.) They advised me that I couldn't serve it myself and it needed to be an uninterested party. So I couldn't use my brother or another family member.  $97.00 Filing Fee

3. The notice needs to be served 7 days prior to the court date but you will also need to give the service company about 5 days to serve the notice. If they don't serve the notice in person and physically hand the notice to the resident, then you can only get a judgement for possession and not for monetary damages. So it's really important that the server has ample time to serve the tenant in person.

4. You must also mail registered/certified court forms to the tenants to arrive approx 5 days prior to the court date.

5. Go to court. This is where you need to prove your case only if the tenant shows up. Generally they don't and you win by default through the clerk. You never even see the judge.

6. The moment you win, you need to complete the following form: JDF 103 - Writ of Restitution with an accompanying check for the cost to have the sheriff come out to oversee the eviction. This writ gives you the right to enter your property and remove the tenant's contents. This is filed again at window #8 at the Adams County Court house. You can get the cost of the sheriff by calling the Adams County Sheriff's dept.

7. Take the writ after validation at the courthouse directly to the Adam's Country Sheriff which is a couple miles from the courthouse. Bring a check to the court appearance so you can immediately schedule the eviction with the sheriff - it will save you from having to make two trips out there. The sheriff's dept will assign a sheriff and he/she will call you to schedule the exact day and time. Typically the sheriff will put a note on the door letting them know they are being evicted so that will take another couple days.

8. When you speak with the sheriff, it's important to find out how many movers he requires, how full the house is with stuff, could the tenant become dangerous, are there kids on the premises, are there pets on the premises, etc. He will also require you to bring trash bags and boxes. You will move everything to where the sheriff designates is a good spot and it will remain there for 72 hours until which time you can dispose of it.

9. Finally you get your house back!

Hope this is helpful! Generally this process takes a month if it goes smoothly and costs a little under $1,000 if you do it yourself.

1. The Three-day Notice informs the tenant that they are being asked to leave the property and why. This notice can be given in person or posted on the door of the property, and also may be called a Notice to Quit, Notice to Vacate, or Demand for Compliance.

2. The Summons, Complaint and Answer is found in the F.E.D. This document informs the tenant that there is a court hearing regarding the eviction. The F.E.D. must be personally served or posted by an uninterested third party (e.g. NOT the landlord or property manager).

3. You should always make an effort to attend the court hearing regarding your eviction. If there is a chance to negotiate with your landlord/property manager about time frames for leaving the property and money owed, this is it! At the time of the court date, the Writ of Restitution is issued. This is what allows the Sheriff’s deputy or police officer to evict the tenant of a property. This document MUST be served by the Sheriff/Sheriff's Deputy before an eviction can take place.

4. A minimum of 48 hours must pass after the Writ of Restitution is issued before the tenant can be evicted. At the time of the eviction, the tenant will have 1.5 hours to remove their belongings from the property. If there are no delays in the eviction process, a tenant could be evicted in as few as 10 days from the time the Three-day Notice is posted.

In Colorado, evictions are handled by the civil division/unit of your county's Sheriff's Office or Police Department. Below you'll find the specific contact information for the civil units of Adams, Arapahoe, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas, and Jefferson counties.

RESOURCES

http://www.coloradohousingconnects.org/eviction.html

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/Forms_List.cfm?Form_Type_ID=28

Loading replies...