Skip to content
Colorado Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Call to action! Sudden shift in Colorado Springs' STR rules?

James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Posted Nov 18 2019, 08:21

Short-term rental regulations in Colorado Springs took another sudden turn for the worse last week. If you own an STR in Colorado Springs or want to in the future, now's the time to make your voice heard. (See end for how you can help.)

At a Nov. 12 meeting, the council basically said they're ready to ban all Airbnb rentals in R-1 zoning. This is a total pivot from what the council voted to allow in ordinance just one year ago. 

The council will take a final vote on a ban at their Nov. 26 meeting, which starts at 1 p.m. 

A soft vote at last week's meeting showed it's all but certain that the council will pass this ban. Without drafted language to review, the details remain murky. 

• Will they grandfather in those who bought property with the explicit permission of the city from last year's vote?
  • Will this cover only non-owner occupied STRs in R-1 zoning or will it cover any STR in R-1, whether you live there or not?

It seems like the goal posts have shifted and we're just arguing to grandfather in existing permits. Me personally, I think an unfettered STR market could affect affordable housing, so I'm not against some limits. But I am against a city telling its citizens legalizing an activity one year, and then taking away that right the next year -- and in doing so putting in jeopardy millions of dollars in private investment. Regulatory uncertainty harms a city's business-friendly image.

Want to help? You can do two things:

1. Attend the meeting at 1 p.m. on Nov. 26 at 107 N. Nevada
  2. Email council members. (Addresses found here.)

Thoughts?

Loading replies...