Votes
Jon Coleman
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
New member in Milwaukee

Jon Coleman
  • Milwaukee, WI
Posted Jan 21 2021, 11:40

I recently joined BP after having been enjoying the benefits of great information and discussion across the site.  My background is in retail banking and I've since moved to a management role at a fintech firm but I'm interested in getting involved with real estate investing.  

I'm new to REI but have been working to rapidly grow my knowledge through reading a variety of books, attending webinars, meeting experienced investors, analyzing deals, and finding advice on the BP forums. I started building my knowledge base by reading a number of books about REI in general, landlording, and deal analysis, but have since shifted focus in an effort to learn more specifically about my local market.

The area that interests me the most is affordable housing for low-income individuals.  I'd like to be able to strike a good balance between making rent affordable for tenants while also earning a fair profit.  It certainly seems like there are plenty of challenges in this area (limited appreciation, troubled tenants, evictions, deferred maintenance, Section 8, etc.) but it is still something I'd like to pursue.

I'd love to hear advice from folks in the BP community on their experiences not just with affordable housing but with REI in general. I've been able to learn a great deal from forum posts but am always open to advice and hearing more about the experiences of others!

I could also use the community's advice on another topic related to getting started. A big challenge I have right now is trying to determine how best to provide value to others who I'd potentially be working with (realtor, GC/handyman, property managers, etc.). I recognize that many experienced folks would be apprehensive about working with someone who is newer to REI and that there is little incentive for them to do so, so I'd love advice on suggested ways to provide value. Bring referrals? Offer to help with manual labor on a rehab? Something else? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!

Loading replies...