Skip to content
New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes

18 and new to Investing

Posted May 13 2022, 09:01

Hello everyone! My name is Antonio and I’ve been interested in real instate investing since I was in high school. I’m currently a full-time student at my local community college studying Political Science and I’ve also been working part time to start saving. So far I’ve accumulated around 10k in savings that I hope to invest. I do have some self doubt as I’m only 18 but we all have to start somewhere. Glad to take a step towards achieving my real estate goals by joining this website and I strive to continue this journey.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Breshears
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied May 13 2022, 09:15

Hi Antonio!  What a great way to start at 18! I wish I had that kind of insight back then. And it's awesome you have been able to save!  The first thing I am going to recommend is attending some local meetups for investors in the area you want to invest in. If the area you want to invest in isn't local, there are still plenty of virtual meetups you can attend to start meeting others for boots on the ground of support.  I would also suggest thinking about and learning more about the different strategies there are to investing. There is a lot more out there than buying rental houses or doing fix and flips. A LOT MORE.  Think about what your strengths are, and what you would need to get a deal done for the type of investing you want to do, then go find a partner to fill in those gaps.  Another great thing to do would be to find a mentor in your area doing the type of investing you want to do. This might involve a lot of sweat equity on your part as they show you the ropes, but you sound really motivated!  Good luck in your journey!

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 13 2022, 09:20
Quote from @Antonio Jeremiah Yambao:

Hello everyone! My name is Antonio and I’ve been interested in real instate investing since I was in high school. I’m currently a full-time student at my local community college studying Political Science and I’ve also been working part time to start saving. So far I’ve accumulated around 10k in savings that I hope to invest. I do have some self doubt as I’m only 18 but we all have to start somewhere. Glad to take a step towards achieving my real estate goals by joining this website and I strive to continue this journey.

Hey Antonio,

Keep growing in your knowledge of RE and keep that passion going. One of my best friends @Zeke Liston started when he was 18 and now is very successful and killing it. He took the leap of faith to just get started and it has payed off. Get started and it will be only good things for your future!

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Frowiss
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 13 2022, 09:36

Hi @Antonio Jeremiah Yambao It's great that you are starting so young! I started when I was 20 and It's one of the best decisions I've made. I would look into house hacking, investing out of state (in an area with lower purchase prices), or wholesaling. I personally got my start with wholesaling since it's a low or no out of pocket cost. 

If you can get really good at finding deals, there are other Investors out there that have the funds to partner with you. Go to Investing meet ups and make some connections so you are ready when you find a motivated Seller. Then you could wholesale the deal or partner with them to get some more experience and see the deal till the end.

No matter your strategy I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors! Stick in there and don't give up!

User Stats

Votes
Dan Sheeks
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied May 16 2022, 06:30

Hey @Antonio Jeremiah Yambao

Congrats on your ambition!

You should check out the book I wrote (published by Bigger Pockets) as it's perfect for you: First to a Million.

In addition, DM me if you are interested in an online community of young, like-minded individuals.

Best of luck to you! Dan

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 16 2022, 06:53

Hey man, it's nice to meet you. I'm 19 and its cool to see you also interested in investing at a young age. Not a lot of people out of highschool think about it too much. I've also been interested in real estate for quite some time man keep it up.