Votes
Hector Rubio
  • Crystal, MN
Votes |
Newbie to real estate

Hector Rubio
  • Crystal, MN
Posted May 19 2022, 10:03

Looking for some recommendations on books or programs to start learning have been listening to podcasts but I'm looking for some things more in depth.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Murith
  • Investor
  • San Rafael
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Rafael
Replied May 19 2022, 10:28

hey @Hector Rubio welcome!

there is just so much out there. do you have any sense of type of information you are looking for, or better yet, what type of real estate you are looking to get into?

Worst case https://store.biggerpockets.co... this is a great book to start with as it covers so many aspects of investing and may give you the information you need to then go even deeper in our direction or another.

we have other resources we like and happy to share those if you want. do not hesitate to connect, and DM me.

User Stats

Votes
Craig Clinton
  • Investor
  • Nutley, NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Nutley, NJ
Replied May 19 2022, 10:32

Welcome aboard!

You can't go wrong with Rich Dad Poor Dad by R. Kiyosaki, Think and Grow Rich by N Hill, and Mindset by Carol Dwek for your mindset.  

I'm not sure if you've chosen a niche yet but these books are excellent:  Bigger Pockets Book on Flipping Houses,  Joe Fairless Best Ever Apartment Syndication, and Hold by Gary Keller.  BP definitely has more good books.  Go the bookstore on the website.

Go to REI Meetups consistently. You'll learn a lot and meet everyone you will need for RE investing.

Keep educating and keep networking!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Salovitch
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied May 19 2022, 10:52

@Hector Rubio How to Invest in Real Estate is a great book!

User Stats

Votes
Hector Rubio
  • Crystal, MN
Votes |
  • Crystal, MN
Replied May 19 2022, 11:25

@Amanda Salovitch Thanks for the recommendation I will give it a read :)

User Stats

Votes
Hector Rubio
  • Crystal, MN
Votes |
  • Crystal, MN
Replied May 19 2022, 11:28

@Craig Clinton Thanks for the recommendation I'm gonna be hitting my local library to check if they have any of those books :)

User Stats

Votes
Craig Clinton
  • Investor
  • Nutley, NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Nutley, NJ
Replied May 19 2022, 12:34

You should buy them because you'll want to read them again & again....especially Rich Dad Poor Dad and Think & Grow Rich.  Buy them used to save some $$

User Stats

Votes
Hector Rubio
  • Crystal, MN
Votes |
  • Crystal, MN
Replied May 19 2022, 13:20
Quote from @Craig Clinton:

You should buy them because you'll want to read them again & again....especially Rich Dad Poor Dad and Think & Grow Rich.  Buy them used to save some $$

Will do also thanks for the recommendation you and the others didn't have to say anything but you did so I again i thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Kalish
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Matthews, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Matthews, NC
Replied May 20 2022, 12:18

I completely understand what Craig is saying.  RDPD is a great book.  I've read and got it on audible.  But it all depends on if you are looking for motivation and mind set or looking for books on this is how you invest in real estate.  Sure RDPD touches on it.  But it doesn't get into the nitty gritty like books by David Green, J Scott and Brandon Turner do.  All on BP BTW.  Since my background is engineering and project management I look more towards the hard core this is what you do books.  I already have the mind set.  But if you are looking for motivation start with the RDPD type of books.  But eventually you will need the down in the weeds "text books".

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Schemmel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied May 24 2022, 07:19

@Hector Rubio Dig in a bit about house hacking.  There's a great book written by Craig Curelop (who I should be able to link here but cannot for some reason), called "The House Hacking Strategy".  It goes in-depth on all the ways you can go about reducing your cost of living by owning a property you live in and partially rent to others.

I am house hacking, and I believe it's the most simple, effective, and powerful way to start investing in real estate.  You get so many benefits:
1.) reduce or eliminate your housing cost
2.) obtain an asset
3.) leverage other people's money to buy said asset
4.) learn how to be a landlord at your pace, and be picky about who you rent to
5.) learn how to manage a property and finances of your business
6.) meet some incredible people who are doing the same thing

I can be a resource, end-to-end, for this sort of adventure.  hit me up anytime, Hector!

-Jeff

• Real Estate Agent Minnesota (#40733743)

Jeff Schemmel - Brix Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied May 24 2022, 10:12

Welcome to BiggerPockets Hector! The best books to start with are The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller and pretty much any of Brandon's books.