Skip to content
New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes

New to the Real Estate Industry

Shameeka Stanley
Posted May 25 2022, 09:08

Hello,

I’m new to the real estate industry and I’m interested in flipping, rentals, and wholesaling in Baltimore, M.D. and the surrounding counties. I would love to get your advice on how to get started, any must do/must haves, how to build capital, financing deals, how to generate buyer and seller leads and what strategies do you find work best for these types of investments. Any information, referrals, tools, and resources would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Shameeka

User Stats

Votes
Sam Kahl
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied May 25 2022, 10:19
Quote from @Shameeka Stanley:

Hello,

I’m new to the real estate industry and I’m interested in flipping, rentals, and wholesaling in Baltimore, M.D. and the surrounding counties. I would love to get your advice on how to get started, any must do/must haves, how to build capital, financing deals, how to generate buyer and seller leads and what strategies do you find work best for these types of investments. Any information, referrals, tools, and resources would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Shameeka

Hi Shameeka, welcome! Baltimore has plenty to offer for investment opportunities -- whether you're looking for flips, BRRRRs, buy and hold rentals, etc. How familiar are you with the region and City and do you have any idea what areas you're focusing in on to start off?

User Stats

Votes
James Peters
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Baltimore
Votes |
  • Baltimore
Replied May 28 2022, 05:25

Hi Shameeka,

Networking will be key. Get out to a investor lunch or join a group and start attending events and meeting people and see what they are doing. Getting started is hard and everyone comes to the table with different tools and mindsets. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied May 28 2022, 05:31

@Shameeka Stanley
Start cold calling to find deals and network with other investors through local real estate meetups. Doing those will be a big start in the right direction. 

Reafco- Logo

User Stats

Votes
Alex Breshears
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied May 29 2022, 06:42

Hi Shameeka! I have a great person I can connect you with! Her and her husband retired from being teachers in the Baltimore area, and they are running a Facebook group to educate others in their market on how they did it with rather low paying jobs.  Send me a message and I'll connect you two! Nothing to sell, I just think you guys may get along!

Another suggestion would be to decide HOW you want to invest. There are  A LOT of other option out there other than buy rentals or do fix and flips.  Research the variety of options and talk to people doing those options. Don't ask them the mechanics of how to do something, ask them what they like about it, what they don't like about it, would they keep doing it if they didn't need the money, etc. You will learn so much more from the conversations doing that versus asking them how to do their style of investing. 

Good luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 29 2022, 06:47
Quote from @James Peters:

Hi Shameeka,

Networking will be key. Get out to a investor lunch or join a group and start attending events and meeting people and see what they are doing. Getting started is hard and everyone comes to the table with different tools and mindsets. 

What are the groups that you currently attend?

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
James Peters
  • Baltimore
Votes |
  • Baltimore
Replied May 30 2022, 05:28

I am out of the loop on current networking events. I think the easiest way to get started is by joining a Facebook group or local REIA. I do not currently network much.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 14 2022, 21:38
Quote from @Alex Breshears:

Hi Shameeka! I have a great person I can connect you with! Her and her husband retired from being teachers in the Baltimore area, and they are running a Facebook group to educate others in their market on how they did it with rather low paying jobs.  Send me a message and I'll connect you two! Nothing to sell, I just think you guys may get along!

Another suggestion would be to decide HOW you want to invest. There are  A LOT of other option out there other than buy rentals or do fix and flips.  Research the variety of options and talk to people doing those options. Don't ask them the mechanics of how to do something, ask them what they like about it, what they don't like about it, would they keep doing it if they didn't need the money, etc. You will learn so much more from the conversations doing that versus asking them how to do their style of investing. 

Good luck! 

Hi Alex,

Would you happen to share this Facebook group? I'm also in education and would love to hear their story as I am interested in the purchasing rental properties and BRRRRing properties there as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 14 2022, 23:14

Hello everyone,

I have a question in regards to a couple answers on this post, I’m looking for similar advice.

James Peters suggested to get out to a investor lunch or join a group and start attending events and meeting people and see what they are doing, where would I find that information to investors lunch or groups??

User Stats

Votes
Justin Windham
Pro Member
  • Solo 401k provider
  • Denver & Hilton Head
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Solo 401k provider
  • Denver & Hilton Head
Replied Jun 15 2022, 04:58

@Shameeka Stanley

Welcome to the BP forums!

This site is great if you are looking to invest into real estate.

There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides

I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that might interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

User Stats

Votes
James Peters
  • Baltimore
Votes |
  • Baltimore
Replied Jun 15 2022, 05:12

I am sorry I do not know of current lunches. There used to be a few lunches year ago I would attend or co host. But since pandemic and children I have slowed my networking. 
let’s do lunch. Who wants to meet in Baltimore somewhere or outside and talk shop?