Votes
Marcus Mears
  • Mesa, AZ
Votes |
AZ Investors/Mentors Welcomed

Marcus Mears
  • Mesa, AZ
Posted Aug 5 2022, 12:34

Saying hello to everyone from Mesa, AZ! I am new to the group and just wanted to introduce myself. The wife and I started out at the beginning of the year by binge watching/listening to the Bigger Pockets podcast and have reached a point that we need to put ourselves out there, and connect with like minded people to begin our conquest. We are looking to purchase a Multifamily (duplex,tri,quad) home either in the Phoenix or Tucson area, with the intentions to "house hack" with low down payment products(I'm a veteran so VA, FHA, different creative financing ways.) Our greatest concern would be having/raising the capital needed, the lack of knowledge when it comes to land lording, and just the general process of buying a home. Now with that being said we do have some Capital, we are reading a couple different books on becoming a land lord, as well as continuing to grow knowledge and the tools in our tool box to be able to negotiate a deal to work in our favor and then closing on that deal. We would be willing to possibly JV into our first deal to get to know the ins and outs but are also up to private money lending to fund the deal and negotiating some kind of equity return or if the numbers are right, a percentage of the cashflow or maybe even both depending on what type of property we ultimately obtain. We are very flexible. I know that this was long winded and I appreciate you reading all the way through. Our main goal is to connect with individuals and/or different teams to discuss how we can help you, help us. Thanks again for this awesome group, looking forward to this Journey!

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Replied Aug 5 2022, 14:34
Quote from @Marcus Mears:

Saying hello to everyone from Mesa, AZ! I am new to the group and just wanted to introduce myself. The wife and I started out at the beginning of the year by binge watching/listening to the Bigger Pockets podcast and have reached a point that we need to put ourselves out there, and connect with like minded people to begin our conquest. We are looking to purchase a Multifamily (duplex,tri,quad) home either in the Phoenix or Tucson area, with the intentions to "house hack" with low down payment products(I'm a veteran so VA, FHA, different creative financing ways.) Our greatest concern would be having/raising the capital needed, the lack of knowledge when it comes to land lording, and just the general process of buying a home. Now with that being said we do have some Capital, we are reading a couple different books on becoming a land lord, as well as continuing to grow knowledge and the tools in our tool box to be able to negotiate a deal to work in our favor and then closing on that deal. We would be willing to possibly JV into our first deal to get to know the ins and outs but are also up to private money lending to fund the deal and negotiating some kind of equity return or if the numbers are right, a percentage of the cashflow or maybe even both depending on what type of property we ultimately obtain. We are very flexible. I know that this was long winded and I appreciate you reading all the way through. Our main goal is to connect with individuals and/or different teams to discuss how we can help you, help us. Thanks again for this awesome group, looking forward to this Journey!

Welcome. You may want to go to AZREIA.org meetings in Phoenix. Lots of people (2,000) in real estate and it's about $20 a meeting. You can learn a lot and meet the right people.

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Aug 5 2022, 14:35

First and foremost, thank you for your service.

Regarding your venture into your first deal, sounds like you are overloaded with ideas and strategies from all of the podcasts and books. They got your wheels turning which is a good thing, but for your scenario, I think you need to go back to the basics.

Find a 2-4 unit in Phoenix or Tucson. Use your VA loan to finance it (no money down). Live in 1 unit and rent the others out.

In the meantime continue your studies, and focus more on the landlord aspect of things since you are about to be a landlord. There's not much to it. And if it gets overwhelming or you don't end up having the time to be a landlord of several units, remember you can always delegate everything to a property manager.

FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Allen
  • Realtor
  • Tucson, AZ
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Tucson, AZ
Replied Aug 8 2022, 09:41

Echoing what @Scott E. mentioned above, and hundreds of investors have mentioned over the years of the podcast: house hacking is almost always the best REI approach for anybody willing to do it. Of the many benefits of house hacking, a few which are noteworthy:

a) the low (no?) down payment requirement considerably lowers the barrier to entry for anyone who lacks capital to "get into the game."

b) due to the low initial outlay of cash to acquire the deal, there is no pressure to immediately add value & subsequently refinance to "lock in" that high ROI. So you can get away with less... sophisication... in what deals work for your buy box.

c) because there are strategies to do a house hack once per year (talk to your favorite lender), the biggest wealth-building strategy is to minimize the length of time between house hack #1 and house hack #2: if you can find something that works for your goals & close by 9/30/22, you stand to be in a great position to buy your next property before the end of 2023, again without having to put much cash into the deal.

d) also pointed out by Scott & worth reiterating: house hacking is "landlording on training wheels". Enough exposure to the LL industry to know whether you'd choose to continue to self-manage or to outsource the job as your portfolio scales... with the added benefit that you live on property and thus can instantly get over to your rental unit to assess and/or handle any issues. Compare that to buying a STR out of state, which presents logistical challenges that is the stuff which keeps investors up at night.

And even if you totally screw up the purchase and buy a property you end up not wanting to own as it's a constant headache for you to manage, you can elect to sell it in a few years & move the equity into a different purchase that produces far better returns... as now you have years of experience and better know what to look for.

PM'd you in case you have further questions about our market down here in Tucson!

User Stats

Votes
Matt Greer
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Aug 8 2022, 09:57

@Marcus Mears Welcome to the area. I have had a few investors go and buy duplexes lately. They are great for house hacking. There is a healthy supply on the MLS as well as a few off market ones I come across periodically.

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Mears
  • Mesa, AZ
Votes |
  • Mesa, AZ
Replied Aug 8 2022, 14:05
Quote from @Scott E.:

First and foremost, thank you for your service.

Regarding your venture into your first deal, sounds like you are overloaded with ideas and strategies from all of the podcasts and books. They got your wheels turning which is a good thing, but for your scenario, I think you need to go back to the basics.

Find a 2-4 unit in Phoenix or Tucson. Use your VA loan to finance it (no money down). Live in 1 unit and rent the others out.

In the meantime continue your studies, and focus more on the landlord aspect of things since you are about to be a landlord. There's not much to it. And if it gets overwhelming or you don't end up having the time to be a landlord of several units, remember you can always delegate everything to a property manager.

Thank you Scott for the kinds works as well as replying to my message. I agree, I also believe that is has our biggest window of success with just getting a 2-4 unit with the possible VA loan option. I think we are creeping up on the analysis paralysis syndrome and wanted to shout out what we had going on in our heads and you are just confirming we are on the right track. I thank you again for reaching out and look forward to going back in fourth in the future after we take our first step in actually landing a deal and trying to scale because long term wealth is our goal.

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Mears
  • Mesa, AZ
Votes |
  • Mesa, AZ
Replied Aug 8 2022, 14:44
Quote from @Mike Hern:
Quote from @Marcus Mears:

Welcome. You may want to go to AZREIA.org meetings in Phoenix. Lots of people (2,000) in real estate and it's about $20 a meeting. You can learn a lot and meet the right people.

I will definitely check that out, thank you!