New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Ware
Votes |
New to Austin and BiggerPockets

Zachary Ware
Posted Aug 16 2022, 10:41

I am excited to move to Austin and work helping to lend on investment properties. Also Interested in the Airbnb market for investment opportunities. 

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 16 2022, 11:10
Quote from @Zachary Ware:

I am excited to move to Austin and work helping to lend on investment properties. Also Interested in the Airbnb market for investment opportunities. 

Welcome to Austin! Airbnb rules are strict within the city of Austin. There is also a 11% hotel tax fee imposed upon licensed properties. There are areas of town that you can operate a STR legally without a permit and without paying the city tax. I operate MTR's to avoid these rules and have had great success with them. Many of the suburbs do not have legislation prohibiting or taxing STR's. Round Rock has been a popular investing location for awhile because of the family friendly attractions there like Kalahari. The Austin area is a great place to invest and a great strategy!

User Stats

Votes
Wilson Vanhook
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Texas - Conroe/North Houston
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Texas - Conroe/North Houston
Replied Nov 8 2022, 12:08
Quote from @Conner Olsen:

Welcome to Austin! Airbnb rules are strict within the city of Austin. There is also a 11% hotel tax fee imposed upon licensed properties. There are areas of town that you can operate a STR legally without a permit and without paying the city tax. I operate MTR's to avoid these rules and have had great success with them. Many of the suburbs do not have legislation prohibiting or taxing STR's. Round Rock has been a popular investing location for awhile because of the family friendly attractions there like Kalahari. The Austin area is a great place to invest and a great strategy!

I've been researching what areas of Austin I can operate a STR legally without a permit, but am having difficulty finding the answers. How could I find this info? I know Austin is a great market to invest in so I really want to expand my STR portfolio into this market.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied Nov 8 2022, 12:11
Hi Zachary, welcome to Bigger Pockets! Congrats on your move to ATX! Good luck & happy investing!

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 8 2022, 12:15
Quote from @Wilson Vanhook:
Quote from @Conner Olsen:

I've been researching what areas of Austin I can operate a STR legally without a permit, but am having difficulty finding the answers. How could I find this info? I know Austin is a great market to invest in so I really want to expand my STR portfolio into this market.

I can help you with that, I'll send you a DM.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 8 2022, 13:27

@Zachary Ware come to our meetup next week too! https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

The Moorhead Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Noth
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 9 2022, 08:14

@Wilson Vanhook @Zachary Ware

Unfortunately you have to check city by city to find restrictions.  The list below is current but subject to change:

The following cities do not actively prohibit STRs outside of HOA regulations:

Cedar Park, Round Rock, Georgetown, Pflugerville, Hutto, Manor, Taylor, Del Valle, Elgin, Kyle, Buda, Dripping Springs, Driftwood, Lago Vista, Wimberly, San Marcos

The following cities actively limit or have staunch STR restrictions:

Austin (almost impossible unless owner occupying the property)

Lakeway (cap on number of STR permits)

New Braunfels

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell Kennedy
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 9 2022, 11:29

Welcome to ATX Zachary! Investment opportunities are second to none down here. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 9 2022, 21:59

I invest in Austin and Bell county, happy to connect 

User Stats

Votes
Nate Sanow
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Nov 9 2022, 22:15

Welcome to BP ! Keep going, networking, and have a good time! Austin is a cool place.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Kelly
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 10 2022, 06:46

@Zachary Ware welcome to ATX! I'd love to connect and happy to discuss local investing options. Also interested to learn about your lending options for clients.