• Ottawa
Votes |
Hi! New member from Ottawa looking to invest in NB, QC, ON

Genevieve Vienneau
  • Attorney
  • Ottawa
Posted Sep 27 2022, 13:28

Hi! 

I wanted to introduce myself and hopefully connect with others with the same goals in my area. 

I'm a lawyer from Ottawa hoping to invest in BRRRR multi families in ON, QC and/or NB. I'm also a former travel agent very interested in vacation rentals in Canada and abroad. I speak fluent French, English and Spanish and would like to put that to good use investing in central and South America one day.

My goal is to eventually scale back my legal practice and supplement my income with REI. With the ultimate goal to be financially independent and work because I want to, not because I have to, and only on what matters most to me. (Isn't that the dream?)

I've spent the greater part of my last year of maternity leave reading loads of RE books, listening to podcasts and reading blogs (at the same time as successfully keeping three small humans alive which is no small feat). 

Despite all that reading and listening and acquiring so much knoledge in a field that was brand new to me, I have yet to actually connect with other investors and that's my next step. 

So if you're investing in these markets, please say hi! I'd love to connect. And if you have any suggestions on meet-ups (including how to get over my fear of actually meeting real PEOPLE, in PERSON at said meet ups 🙃) please drop them below.

Happy investing!

User Stats

Votes
Juan Carlos Gastelum
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mexico
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Mexico
Replied Sep 28 2022, 08:07

Hello Genevieve.  Steve Rozenberg has a MasterMind group that focuses on setting our business mindset on the right track.  I have been able to scale in many ways thanks to Steve and his group.  If you would just want to listen in, you can join on Zoom this Thursday at 5:00 pm PST/8:00 pm EST:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8900...

Get Zoom Link HERE for FREE Training Thrive Now And In Any Market.

Best wishes on your real estate journey, and God bless!

User Stats

Votes
Paul Britton
Pro Member
  • Canada
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Canada
Replied Oct 2 2022, 06:58
Quote from @Genevieve Vienneau:

Hi! 

I wanted to introduce myself and hopefully connect with others with the same goals in my area. 

I'm a lawyer from Ottawa hoping to invest in BRRRR multi families in ON, QC and/or NB. I'm also a former travel agent very interested in vacation rentals in Canada and abroad. I speak fluent French, English and Spanish and would like to put that to good use investing in central and South America one day.

My goal is to eventually scale back my legal practice and supplement my income with REI. With the ultimate goal to be financially independent and work because I want to, not because I have to, and only on what matters most to me. (Isn't that the dream?)

I've spent the greater part of my last year of maternity leave reading loads of RE books, listening to podcasts and reading blogs (at the same time as successfully keeping three small humans alive which is no small feat). 

Despite all that reading and listening and acquiring so much knoledge in a field that was brand new to me, I have yet to actually connect with other investors and that's my next step. 

So if you're investing in these markets, please say hi! I'd love to connect. And if you have any suggestions on meet-ups (including how to get over my fear of actually meeting real PEOPLE, in PERSON at said meet ups 🙃) please drop them below.

Happy investing!

Welcome Genevieve 

You will find great info and people willing to help on here. I just kicked off my journey from Canada with a purchase in the USA. It wouldn't have been possible without this site. You are in the right place. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Oct 2 2022, 12:25

Welcome to BiggerPockets Genevieve!

User Stats

Votes
Genevieve Vienneau
  • Attorney
  • Ottawa
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Ottawa
Replied Oct 13 2022, 04:08
Quote from @Paul Britton:

Hi! 

Happy investing!

Welcome Genevieve 

You will find great info and people willing to help on here. I just kicked off my journey from Canada with a purchase in the USA. It wouldn't have been possible without this site. You are in the right place. 

Thank you very much! Congrats on your first US purchase.

User Stats

Votes
Genevieve Vienneau
  • Attorney
  • Ottawa
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Ottawa
Replied Oct 13 2022, 04:08
Quote from @Andrew Syrios:

Welcome to BiggerPockets Genevieve!

Thank you very much!

User Stats

Votes
Genevieve Vienneau
  • Attorney
  • Ottawa
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Ottawa
Replied Oct 13 2022, 04:09
Quote from @Juan Carlos Gastelum:

Hello Genevieve.  Steve Rozenberg has a MasterMind group that focuses on setting our business mindset on the right track.  I have been able to scale in many ways thanks to Steve and his group.  If you would just want to listen in, you can join on Zoom this Thursday at 5:00 pm PST/8:00 pm EST:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8900...

Get Zoom Link HERE for FREE Training Thrive Now And In Any Market.

Best wishes on your real estate journey, and God bless!

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Drouin
Pro Member
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Replied Oct 23 2022, 07:52

Hey there fellow Ottawa investor!

just a quick stop in to say hi. I am also a long time listener/watcher who finally got into the game just over a year ago. 
I bought a under performing duplex that needed work. Purchased for $60k under ask, lived in it while I renovated and increased monthly rents from $1650 to $3300. I wish I could refinance but I don’t want to give up my 1.9% rate lol. 

Looks like you are looking to get in at the right time. Rates might be high but I think starting this winter, deals will be much easier to get. Have you been analyzing any deals in the area yet?

User Stats

Votes
Genevieve Vienneau
  • Attorney
  • Ottawa
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Ottawa
Replied Oct 23 2022, 09:53
Quote from @Chris Drouin:

just a quick stop in to say hi. I am also a long time listener/watcher who finally got into the game just over a year ago. 
I bought a under performing duplex that needed work. Purchased for $60k under ask, lived in it while I renovated and increased monthly rents from $1650 to $3300. I wish I could refinance but I don’t want to give up my 1.9% rate lol. 

Looks like you are looking to get in at the right time. Rates might be high but I think starting this winter, deals will be much easier to get. Have you been analyzing any deals in the area yet?

HI! That sounds like a great deal - hard to give away that interest rate for sure! I'm curious in which area of the city you purchased. I'm analyzing deals (from MLS) but am finding it hard to find anything that cash flows. Also I would like to rehab to increase the value, but finding it hard to estimate timelines since it's so hard to find contractors/you never know when stuff is in back order. Would you mind if I sent you a PM? I'm curious to hear more about your experience in the Ottawa market/with your rahab. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Drouin
Pro Member
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Replied Oct 23 2022, 14:06

Of course. Send away. I ended buying In Casselman. It’s a small but growing community and it’s located half way between Ottawa and Montreal along the 417. I buy for the long term, so it will continue to appreciate as long as others are priced out of Ottawa and the surrounding cities

I totally get it. I found it hard to get certain ppl to tackle jobs. I just tried to do as much as possible myself (flooring, painting, fence, deck) and called in others when absolutely necessary. 
we can’t chat more in messages to maybe help you find something, giving some tips to save on the rehab or me helping out!

User Stats

Votes
Genevieve Vienneau
  • Attorney
  • Ottawa
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Ottawa
Replied Oct 24 2022, 12:58

Of course. Send away. I ended buying In Casselman. It’s a small but growing community and it’s located half way between Ottawa and Montreal along the 417. I buy for the long term, so it will continue to appreciate as long as others are priced out of Ottawa and the surrounding cities

I totally get it. I found it hard to get certain ppl to tackle jobs. I just tried to do as much as possible myself (flooring, painting, fence, deck) and called in others when absolutely necessary. 
we can’t chat more in messages to maybe help you find something, giving some tips to save on the rehab or me helping out!

Great fence! Casselman is a great option. I'll send you a PM and we can chat. 

User Stats

Votes
Olivier LePage
  • Wholesaler
  • St Hubert, Québec
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • St Hubert, Québec
Replied Nov 7 2022, 08:29

I'm a wholesaler from Montreal and I have 1-2 new deal every week in the greater Montreal region. All of my deal are sold 10-15% under market value. I already have a dozen great buyers making good money with those deal (including myself) but I still have more deal than buyers (good problem to solve.

If any of you are interested, let me know, I'll add you on my buyers list.

User Stats

Votes
Genevieve Vienneau
  • Attorney
  • Ottawa
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Ottawa
Replied Nov 7 2022, 11:54

Hi! Thanks for reaching out. Yes, I'm interested.  I'll message you. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 7 2022, 12:06

Hey Genevieve, welcome to the community!

I am myself a multifamily real estate investor that focuses on the value-add strategy. I have a couple deals lined up right now so if you wanna know any more details about them, just shoot me a text!

Thanks!

Stay Focused🧠

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 8 2022, 04:18

Hi @Olivier, can you please add me to your list?
Ideally looking on the western side of the island of Montreal.

Thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Fajardo
  • Investor
  • Montreal
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Montreal
Replied Nov 27 2022, 11:18

Hi! I invest in Montreal and Mexico. If you ever want to share thoughts about those two, feel free to reach out.

User Stats

Votes
Alli Breighner
  • Lender
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Nov 29 2022, 08:12

Hello Genevieve, 

That's so great! I'd love to connect, and discuss tips on meetups, networking, and offer guidance where I can! I know you mentioned wanting suggestions on meetups and I'd love to offer tips that personally helped me.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 3 2022, 09:13

Hey Chris, have you evaluated access to that equity on your property through a HELOC without breaking your current spectacular 1.9% mortgage rate?

I'm in that HELOC process right now, it's slow but if that works would be fantastic. I'm in the Ottawa area too, not an investor yet but working on it for next year. Let me know if you want to chat about these topics @Chris Drouin

Welcome @Genevieve Vienneau hope you have success in your journey.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Drouin
Pro Member
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Replied Dec 3 2022, 11:51
Quote from @Eric Best:

Hey Chris, have you evaluated access to that equity on your property through a HELOC without breaking your current spectacular 1.9% mortgage rate?

I'm in that HELOC process right now, it's slow but if that works would be fantastic. I'm in the Ottawa area too, not an investor yet but working on it for next year. Let me know if you want to chat about these topics @Chris Drouin

Welcome @Genevieve Vienneau hope you have success in your journey.

Hey Eric,

yes I have thought about it but haven’t started the process yet. I am waiting for the new tenant to be in for a few months so that I can show the rents coming in as expected to and lender. Second though, is I need to find someone who will lend based on appraised price and not purchase price. So far I have only talked to the major banks I used so I am still searching. 

who are you going through?

luckily my market has remained flat while some of the surrounding areas have plateaued or even seen a decline in median prices. 

User Stats

Votes
Pierre-Frederick Gauthier
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Votes |
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Replied Dec 17 2022, 17:48

Hi! 

Happy investing!

Hi Genevieve,

I'm a french-Canadian from Ottawa aswell! OREIO.org (Ottawa Real Estate Investors Association) is a place you can start. They have an educational in-person event once per month and there is a 15-minute networking segment. There are occasional meetups that you can find on meetup.com but nothing consistent. I'm planning on starting one. However there are many high quality masterminds and private meetups in Ottawa which I am a part of.

I sent you a PM- would love to connect to see what your goals are and see if there's anyway I can help you get there!

Cheers!

Pierre

User Stats

Votes
Pierre-Frederick Gauthier
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Votes |
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Replied Dec 17 2022, 17:54

Chris, 

Congratulations on your duplex! Casselman is a nice spot. I'm from Ottawa aswell, and I'm focused on the large multi-family side of things. Would love to connect to see what your goals are and if there's anything I can do to help you get there!

Cheers,

Pierre