New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
James Hamilton
Votes |
James from St Louis introduction

James Hamilton
Posted Oct 13 2022, 18:23

Hi everyone, I introduced myself to BP last week but wanted to post in the new member forum as well. I'm James from Kentucky but live currently in the St Louis area after 11 years in the USAF. I have caught the real estate investing bug and have set my goal to obtain my first property by June 1st, 2023. My thinking at the moment is to buy and hold a few properties long-term, then work my way into the STR world and possibly BRRRR or flips once I get enough capital. I would like to start out in the St Louis area, but am not opposed to buying turn-key properties out-of-state if I can make it work. Just joined our local REIA here in St Louis and looking forward to the first meetup next Tuesday. Can't wait to start making connections and building a team of trusted colleagues to hopefully be done with my W-2 in three years! May be ambitious but i'm determined and motivated. Thanks to all of you for your knowledge and contributions to making this website an amazing REI tool.

User Stats

Votes
James Hamilton
Votes |
Replied Oct 13 2022, 18:25

How did each of you start analyzing your first deals? I'm sure you've told the stories a million times, but it so helpful to hear how others got it going. Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
James Wilcox
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY
Votes |
Replied Oct 14 2022, 05:50
Quote from @James Hamilton:

Hi everyone, I introduced myself to BP last week but wanted to post in the new member forum as well. I'm James from Kentucky but live currently in the St Louis area after 11 years in the USAF. I have caught the real estate investing bug and have set my goal to obtain my first property by June 1st, 2023. My thinking at the moment is to buy and hold a few properties long-term, then work my way into the STR world and possibly BRRRR or flips once I get enough capital. I would like to start out in the St Louis area, but am not opposed to buying turn-key properties out-of-state if I can make it work. Just joined our local REIA here in St Louis and looking forward to the first meetup next Tuesday. Can't wait to start making connections and building a team of trusted colleagues to hopefully be done with my W-2 in three years! May be ambitious but i'm determined and motivated. Thanks to all of you for your knowledge and contributions to making this website an amazing REI tool.

Hi fellow James. My father was in the Air Force as well. With your military experience, consider joining the national guard. You might be able to take advantage of the VA loan program. It is the best available mortgage program anyone could ever hope for. You could be buying before your target date. GL with all your future REI ventures.
  • Real Estate Agent Kentucky (#288548)

REI James w/ eXp Realty Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew McKee
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Replied Oct 14 2022, 16:12
Quote from @James Wilcox:

Hi fellow James. My father was in the Air Force as well. With your military experience, consider joining the national guard. You might be able to take advantage of the VA loan program. It is the best available mortgage program anyone could ever hope for. You could be buying before your target date. GL with all your future REI ventures.
You don’t have to be currently enlisted in the military to use the VA. Honorable discharge, 6 years in national guard/reserves or 90 of active service will qualify you for a VA loan. Just need your DD-214

User Stats

Votes
James Wilcox
Votes |
Replied Oct 15 2022, 04:51
Quote from @Matthew McKee:

You don’t have to be currently enlisted in the military to use the VA. Honorable discharge, 6 years in national guard/reserves or 90 of active service will qualify you for a VA loan. Just need your DD-214

Good point. With 11 years of service he likely has a HD. Go out and buy!

• Real Estate Agent Kentucky (#288548)

REI James w/ eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
James Hamilton
Votes |
Replied Oct 15 2022, 07:18

Thanks James - issue right now is it will be difficult for me to househack and take advantage of the VA loan. We have a primary residence that we are very happy in. Are there any strategies or tips for using a VA loan that I don't know about possibly?

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Berman
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Golden, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Golden, CO
Replied Oct 15 2022, 07:22

Hi James!  Welcome to the RE Community.  I think it is likely the best decision you could have made.  This community is awesome and supportive.  Set those goals and you will definitely be able to reach them if you consistently work towards them. 

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
James Hamilton
Votes |
Replied Oct 15 2022, 07:29
Quote from @Patricia Berman:

Hi James!  Welcome to the RE Community.  I think it is likely the best decision you could have made.  This community is awesome and supportive.  Set those goals and you will definitely be able to reach them if you consistently work towards them. 

Good luck!

Thanks Patricia! I am excited about starting this journey. How long have you been a REI? 

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Berman
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Golden, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Golden, CO
Replied Oct 15 2022, 09:37
Quote from @Patricia Berman:

Good luck!

Thanks Patricia! I am excited about starting this journey. How long have you been a REI? 

James,  Thanks.  I've been investing since 2016 and I'm loving it.  I scaled from 3 - 7 doors over the past year so that is exciting.  You can do it too!

User Stats

Votes
James Hamilton
Votes |
Replied Oct 17 2022, 12:43

The only way you can use the VA loan is for a primary residence, correct? My understanding is that VA and FHA loans can't be used for STRs or investment properties. Is there any way around that?

User Stats

Votes
James Hamilton
Votes |
Replied Oct 17 2022, 12:44

I'm also thinking...would it be unwise to invest in a couple STRs out-of-state? Or should the first property be local? 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew McKee
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Replied Oct 18 2022, 09:09

The only way you can use the VA loan is for a primary residence, correct? My understanding is that VA and FHA loans can't be used for STRs or investment properties. Is there any way around that?

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or a lender, this is not legal advice just my understanding. 

You must intend to occupy the home as your primary residence (over half the year) within 60 days of closing for an unspecified time (1-2 years is widely quoted).

I advice my VA clients to buy a primary, house hack, refi into conventional then buy another primary, converting the former into an STR. rinse/repeat.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew McKee
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Replied Oct 18 2022, 09:12

I'm also thinking...would it be unwise to invest in a couple STRs out-of-state? Or should the first property be local? 

I have three markets of interest two appreciating that I STR in and one that I LTR because its low entry and high rent but virtually no appreciation.

The key with out-of-state investing is having a local team you trust to coordinate buying/rehabbing/managing your asset. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Aj Parikh
  • Centreville, VA
Votes |
  • Centreville, VA
Replied Oct 19 2022, 14:28

Hi James, One of the easiest ways of scaling in real estate today is to invest in turnkey properties out of state. If you have a busy 9-5 routine but have the money to get started and don't have enough time, turnkey companies provide some of the best resources to scale your portfolio. I have used that strategy so feel free to reach out if you want to discuss.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Oct 20 2022, 12:26

Welcome aboard James!

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Nov 18 2022, 05:42

Welcome aboard J-dawg