Votes
Josh Zeb
Pro Member
Votes |
New member introduction

Josh Zeb
Pro Member
Posted Nov 16 2022, 05:47

Hi there I’m Josh I’m a new real estate investor based out of Denver Colorado. I am 26 years old and work as a traveling surgical technologist saving money for my first rental property! I’m an avid fly fisherman and want to get into rental properties for financial freedom. I’m interested in a multi family for my first property. 

Thanks for reading,

Josh 

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Nov 16 2022, 06:12

Welcome aboard!

User Stats

Votes
Anthony L Amos Jr
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 16 2022, 06:29
Quote from @Josh Zeb:

Hi there I’m Josh I’m a new real estate investor based out of Denver Colorado. I am 26 years old and work as a traveling surgical technologist saving money for my first rental property! I’m an avid fly fisherman and want to get into rental properties for financial freedom. I’m interested in a multi family for my first property. 

Thanks for reading,

Josh 

Welcome Josh! We have a lot of great things going on in Ohio. Let me know if you want more info

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jeff White
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Nov 16 2022, 07:26

@Josh Zeb Welcome Josh to BP!  It is a great resource to have this site available.  Congrats on planning for your first house hack, which particular strategy are you looking to employ?  

I've found great success in rent by room and finding unique properties with mother-in-law apartments, and also, I've seen clients utilize Airbnb as well, so it really depends on your goals?  Are you looking for cash flow?  Appreciation?  A little bit of both?   

• Real Estate Agent Colorado (#FA100090620)

Jeffrey White with Envision Advisors Logo

User Stats

Votes
Alli Breighner
  • Lender
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Nov 16 2022, 10:42

Hi Josh!

I love Denver, Colorado. Welcome to BP! I would love to discuss this further and offer guidance if you are interested.

User Stats

Votes
Austin Steed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 16 2022, 11:03

Welcome to the BP community! Great place to learn and network

User Stats

Votes
Josh Zeb
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 16 2022, 11:27
Quote from @Jeff White:

@Josh Zeb Welcome Josh to BP!  It is a great resource to have this site available.  Congrats on planning for your first house hack, which particular strategy are you looking to employ?  

I've found great success in rent by room and finding unique properties with mother-in-law apartments, and also, I've seen clients utilize Airbnb as well, so it really depends on your goals?  Are you looking for cash flow?  Appreciation?  A little bit of both?   

Thank you! I am looking to buy a 2-4 unit property that I can use solely for a rental property with 20-30% down payment. As I am a travel tech I don’t think I can qualify for a house hack due to my being out of state most of the year. That said I make enough for a decent size down payment for the first property. Then I’d like to scale with a 1031 but I’m still learning about that process. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Reinhard
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Patterson, NY
Replied Nov 16 2022, 11:33
Welcome aboard Josh !!! 

Feel free to reach out to me at any time for questions that are more involved than a back and forth post.

Much success - happy investing !!! Bob

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied Nov 16 2022, 11:43

Welcome!

User Stats

Votes
Sarita Scherpereel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 16 2022, 13:34

Hey @Josh Zeb Welcome to the community! Glad you're here.

Sarita Sells Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jeff White
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Nov 16 2022, 13:53

@Josh Zeb That's fantastic that you already have the down payment saved up, that's usually the biggest hurdle with qualifying as a first-time home buyer. 

Have you talked to a lender yet to get pre-approval?  That would be the first step to determine what properties that you qualify for. If you have a W2 salary and current reside here, I think you should be fine.  

As you probably already noticed, 2-4 units in Denver metro are sold at premium, and in order to cash flow, you definitely need to put a larger down payment to cash flow.

• Real Estate Agent Colorado (#FA100090620)

Jeffrey White with Envision Advisors Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell Roadruck
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Northwest Indiana
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Northwest Indiana
Replied Nov 16 2022, 13:55

Welcome @Josh Zeb! Feel free to sent questions my way, Id love to help any way I can!

User Stats

Votes
Nate Sanow
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Nov 17 2022, 04:42

Welcome to BP, you are off to a good start being here.  Best wishes.  

User Stats

Votes
Justin Rafter
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Nov 17 2022, 15:13

@Josh Zeb

Josh I am decently new too! I am on the selling side and still learning all the ropes. In the Denver market we are still seeing a ton of new investors going with the brrrr method in order to get those smaller initial costs. The market is definitely different from last year but we are still rockin and rollin here in Denver.

User Stats

Votes
James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Nov 18 2022, 10:43

@Josh Zeb

Welcome to the forums! You're in the right place. And it sounds like you've got a good job and savings ready to make that leap into Denver real estate. The tried-and-true method for that first step is house-hacking. Rent-by-the-room tends to get you the most like these house-hacking clients of ours or these Denver clients, but a duplex has great potential once you move out.

Biggest hurdle will be simply taking action. The forums are great, the podcast has some good tips, but don't get bogged down. Follow the KISS method at least for the first one -- Keep It Simple Stupid. The biggest advantage you have is time in market. At your age, you've got decades ahead of you, and decades for whatever you buy to appreciate. So do your research, find something solid in a good location and dive in. You'll learn so much more "doing" than "researching." 

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Smith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Nov 21 2022, 16:13

@josh

Welcome to BiggerPockets! You have hit the JACKPOT of resources for real estate investors. You can literally find answers to all of your questions within the confines of this site. What’s the best way to get started using BiggerPockets?

1. Subscribe to the BiggerPockets Money and Rookie Podcasts

2. Attend the FREE WEBINARS

3. Attend a Meetup in your area/virtual meet ups

4. Purchase the Beginner Books: How to Invest in Real Estate, Set for Life, The House Hacking Strategy

5. Peruse the forums! Ask questions! Answer questions! If you are consistent with learning real estate over the next 4-6 months, you’ll be ready to purchase your first (or next) property in NO TIME!

Good Luck,

Kenny

@Josh Zebundefined

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Krafka
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 3 2023, 12:52

How much do you have to spend? Would love to connect and see what we can do for eachother.