Votes
Janet Gonzales
  • Stockton CA, USA
Votes |
How to turn primary residence into passive income. $285K in eqty

Janet Gonzales
  • Stockton CA, USA
Posted Dec 8 2022, 09:16

Bought my primary resident in 2015, currently have $285K in equity and would like to turn into passive income.  Not sure where to start.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Homs
  • Flipper
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Replied Dec 8 2022, 11:20

@Janet Gonzales why?  Why not just sell the home and not pay anything in Capital gains taxes (IRS Section 121) as the primary resident of the home.  Then use that profit to purchase a rental home that will cash flow.

Good Investing...

User Stats

Votes
Janet Gonzales
  • Stockton CA, USA
Votes |
  • Stockton CA, USA
Replied Dec 8 2022, 11:50
Quote from @Janet Gonzales:

Bought my primary resident in 2015, currently have $285,000 in equity and would like to turn into passive income.  Not sure where to start.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Dec 8 2022, 12:01

You definately sell, especially if it or you are in California. You’re going to avoid at least a 35% combined tax. You’d have to earn $100k to net the $75k that you’re going to save in taxes. 

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Dec 8 2022, 12:18

Can you do a HELOC? That would give you leverage to reinvest and hold the property

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Smith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 8 2022, 12:20

@Janet Gonzales

Before you do anything, you need to figure out what your options are with the equity, or selling the property outright.

There are so many different routes you can take. Multi family, Single family, STR, MTR, LTR, flips, syndications, etc...

I'd recommend start reading a few books so you can learn what strategy may be the best fit for you in your life right now.  Check out a few beginner BiggerPockets books, Set for Life, How to Invest in Real Estate, and The House Hacking Strategy.  From there, talk with a local investor/agent to get an idea where the market is now (in your area), where its headed, and if selling makes sense for you right now or not.

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Dec 8 2022, 12:51

Bought my primary resident in 2015, currently have $285K in equity and would like to turn into passive income.  Not sure where to start.

Here are some ideas to use your primary residence to create passive income:

1. Do some research to determine if using a part of your home as AirBnB would work.  

2. Since you have $285K in equity you may consider tapping the equity to use it to purchase or as a downpayment on an investment property that throws off cash

3. Combine 1 & 2

The Smith Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Anthony L Amos Jr
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Dec 8 2022, 14:36

Use a HELOC to invest in an affordable market that has appreciation and cashflow

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 8 2022, 22:22

Pull the cash out with a HELOC and put down payments on rental properties.

User Stats

Votes
Janet Gonzales
  • Stockton CA, USA
Votes |
  • Stockton CA, USA
Replied Dec 10 2022, 13:49
Quote from @Kenny Smith:

@Janet Gonzales

Before you do anything, you need to figure out what your options are with the equity, or selling the property outright.

There are so many different routes you can take. Multi family, Single family, STR, MTR, LTR, flips, syndications, etc...

I'd recommend start reading a few books so you can learn what strategy may be the best fit for you in your life right now.  Check out a few beginner BiggerPockets books, Set for Life, How to Invest in Real Estate, and The House Hacking Strategy.  From there, talk with a local investor/agent to get an idea where the market is now (in your area), where its headed, and if selling makes sense for you right now or not.

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Alli Breighner
  • Lender
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Dec 12 2022, 13:52

Hi Janet!

Welcome to BP, this is a great community. Would love to connect.

Using a HELOC would be a good idea when wanting to invest.

User Stats

Votes
Jensen Escobar
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 12 2022, 15:50

There are many ways you can go about this as many have mentioned. If you want true passive income look into becoming a limited partner in a syndication. I would go to as many real estate meet ups as I could to meet prominent investors in your community as well as educating yourself. 

User Stats

Votes
Elisa Zhang
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Dec 12 2022, 16:31

Hi Janet, just upvoted your post for visibility. I have over 3,000 apartment units and focus on educating investors like yourself on the different ways one can achieve their goals through passive investing. Reach out if you are interested in chatting more! 

User Stats

Votes
Janet Gonzales
  • Stockton CA, USA
Votes |
  • Stockton CA, USA
Replied Apr 4 2023, 09:19
Quote from @Caleb Brown:

Can you do a HELOC? That would give you leverage to reinvest and hold the property

AT the time I didn't have a job, my score was 650.  Its been four months since, my score is now 575 preventing me from obtaining

User Stats

Votes
Janet Gonzales
  • Stockton CA, USA
Votes |
  • Stockton CA, USA
Replied Apr 4 2023, 09:26
Quote from @Elisa Zhang:

Hi Janet, just upvoted your post for visibility. I have over 3,000 apartment units and focus on educating investors like yourself on the different ways one can achieve their goals through passive investing. Reach out if you are interested in chatting more! 

Hello Elisa, hope you are well.   At the time of this writing my score was 650 and I didn't have a job.  As of today, I have a job and my score is 575.  There is something I'm not doing correctly and are in need of your professional opinion.  

My goal is to get some of the equity out of my home so that I can invest with the cash while preparing my home for as a rental that will generate $1,000 per month.   

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thank you for your time. 

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Speer
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Apr 5 2023, 07:32

Hey Janet,

You may be interested in syndications. I work at a firm that specializes in helping clients invest in passive real estate funds. These are private placements, not REITS, and are the answer if one wants both passive cash flow and growth. These usually have 5-7 year hold periods and cash flow around 10-12% annualized, paid monthly. We see syndications out-perform our client's self-owned rental properties.