User Stats

Votes
Evelyn Wangai
Votes |
New member introductions - Hello there!

Evelyn Wangai
Posted Jan 5 2023, 16:07

Hello,

My name is Evelyn. I'm excited to be here and joining the biggerpockets community. 

I got interested in real estate last year and instead of having a plan and being strategic about it , I jumped into listening to podcasts, reading real estate books and watching real estate YouTube videos and it was overwhelming. So this year, I have decided to be strategic and have a plan for my real estate journey and that's why I am here.
I am looking forward to learning from this community.

User Stats

Votes
Katie Miller
Pro Member
  • General Manager, Publishing at BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • General Manager, Publishing at BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
ModeratorReplied Jan 6 2023, 10:31

Hi! Welcome to BiggerPockets and thanks for joining!

Here are some tips to help you get started:

1) I'd continue to fill out your profile before you do anything, as that will at least help folks that you reach out to know that you are a real person! Particularly be sure to include your headshot and goals for real estate investing so that folks on the site can help you.

2) Go to the search bar and type in the city/state where you are looking for your first deal. Find some local members in your area and reach out to a few of the folks, perhaps those with hundreds or thousands of posts in this forum, and connect! There's also a million local meetups you could filter through and attend in your area to meet in person.

3) Review this comprehensive 64 page deck on the state of the 2023 housing market for real estate investors put together by @Dave Meyer and available for all BiggerPockets members. It'll help you in this uncertain market and with your strategic planning!

4) If you already have a property in mind to purchase or are ready to pull the trigger, go to our Agent Finder and connect with an investor-friendly agent who can help you close your deal.

Hope this helps! :)

User Stats

Votes
Lauren DeFreitas
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Keller
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Keller
Replied Jan 12 2023, 11:44

Welcome to the community, Evelyn! I'm an investor and realtor here in DFW so please reach out as needed. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied Jan 12 2023, 11:59

Welcome!

User Stats

Votes
Mary Smith
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Replied Jan 12 2023, 12:03

@Evelyn Wangai Welcome to BiggerPockets! I think joining this community is probably one of the best steps you've taken towards your real estate journey. This community has helped me SO MUCH and I'm sure you'll find the same too!

User Stats

Votes
Jack Tulloch
Pro Member
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 12 2023, 12:06

Welcome Evelyn!

User Stats

Votes
Alli Breighner
  • Lender
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 12 2023, 15:33

Welcome, Evelyn!

Reading books, watching videos, and listening to Podcasts can all be very helpful, but I feel that jumping into real estate and physically putting yourself out there is definitely the most beneficial.

Congrats on starting your journey and joining BP! I'd love to connect, and get you started on your future investments.

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Smith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 12 2023, 16:26

@Evelyn Wangai

Welcome to BiggerPockets! You have hit the JACKPOT of resources for real estate investors. You can literally find answers to all of your questions within the confines of this site. What’s the best way to get started using BiggerPockets?

1. Subscribe to the BiggerPockets Money and Rookie Podcasts

2. Attend the FREE WEBINARS

3. Attend a Meetup in your area/virtual meet ups

4. Purchase the Beginner Books: How to Invest in Real Estate, Set for Life, The House Hacking Strategy

5. Peruse the forums! Ask questions! Answer questions! If you are consistent with learning real estate over the next 4-6 months, you’ll be ready to purchase your first (or next) property in NO TIME!

Good Luck,

Kenny

User Stats

Votes
Chris Webb
  • Investor
  • Central Virginia
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Virginia
Replied Jan 12 2023, 16:46

Hi @Evelyn Wangai, thanks for sharing! You should check out the book "Hold." It has some agents who invest right there in Denton! Also, check out One Rental at a Time on YouTube. And, If you want to learn more about Cash on Cash return take a look at my videos on YouTube under InvestLYH. Good luck!! 

User Stats

Votes
Tim Lockhart
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Replied Jan 13 2023, 03:39
Quote from @Evelyn Wangai:

Hello,

My name is Evelyn. I'm excited to be here and joining the bigger pockets community. 

I got interested in real estate last year and instead of having a plan and being strategic about it , I jumped into listening to podcasts, reading real estate books and watching real estate YouTube videos and it was overwhelming. So this year, I have decided to be strategic and have a plan for my real estate journey and that's why I am here.

Welcome Evelyn,  we have a meetup of real estate investors who get together each month to network, learn and share deals.  You're more than welcome to come, there is no cost.  You can find it on meetup.com and in the BiggerPockets Real Estate Classifieds.

User Stats

Votes
Levi Dobson
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 17 2023, 11:02

@Evelyn Wangai Welcome to Bigger Pockets! This community is full of so much valuable information. I am on my journey too! Staying engaged in this platform keeps me motivated about my investment goals. I began my journey just like and like so many others. Best of luck to you! 

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 17 2023, 11:06
Quote from @Evelyn Wangai:

Hello,

My name is Evelyn. I'm excited to be here and joining the biggerpockets community. 

Hi Evelyn, welcome to BiggerPockets! I always recommend the book Rich dad, Poor dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki to anyone starting out. Start growing your network, look on Facebook/BiggerPockets for different events, find a mentor doing what you want to do, and get to know the local lenders/brokers.

Try to attend your local REI networking groups and meetups. Connect with as many real estate investors as you can. You can also consult with lenders, brokers and ask them for suggestions on who might be a good real estate mentor most will be able to provide one. Best wishes on your real estate journey!