Skip to content
New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Pedro NA
Votes |
Hi! I'm looking for honest opinions to one Q!

Pedro NA
Posted Jan 17 2023, 02:31

Hi there Bigger Pockets community!

(Preview of a long story short, I'm looking for opinions on the best Real Estate Investment education platform out there [even north of $20K] that you feel gave you the best learnings, skills, and guidance in your REI journeys for the Canadian market. Thank you in advance!).

I'm a new joiner, and excited to get started here after knowing about this site for some time now, but wanted to put a question out there to hopefully get some honest opinions before anything else.

My wife and I started our Real Estate investment journey about 2 years ago, and to date we have 3 doors, which isn't much (we know, and we'retrying to change that! Lol).

When we started we were looking into courses to speed up our knowledge, strategies and skills, so we took some, and even took the leap on a big ticket one that was over $20K. We learned quite a bit from it, but when it came time for support the education company closed shop and went into receivership by the FTC. This of course did some damage to our aspirations, but we continued with what we did know but, at a very...slow...pace. Until the time we just stopped for a bit because we ran into other roadblocks along our REI journey that became deflating.

BUT we are now fully ready to get back on the saddle to gaining the knowledge quickly to becoming savvy Real Estate Investors – with proper guideance to start (hopefully!)

So my question is, we've recently started looking at big ticket Real Estate Investment educators/platforms thay offer vast knowledge, skills development, and inital guidance, even if it costs more than $20K (odd why those pricey ones are always around the $20K mark, isn't it?!). So wondering, can anyone here let us know which REI Ed. platform offers the most well rounded education and guidance in their opinion for ~$20K , or whatever the price range for the Canadian (preferably) market?

We've heard of some, like Keyspire, REIT, Will-to-Win, Zurixx, etc. but just wanted to hear from the community here who has been in one of these ~$20K courses, to see which one you all feel is the best one to take.

THANK YOU ALL in advance for your opinions! 💛✨️

Cheers,

Pedro R.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Okenwa
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor
  • Peoria, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor
  • Peoria, AZ
Replied Jan 17 2023, 05:06

So you spent 20k on a program that got shut down by the FTC and are looking to spend another 20k despite being already owning property and having done so for 2 years?

Save your money and find a property. Endless education just delays moving forward. I understand that some people benefit from courses and seminars, but book learning never supersedes experience IMO. You've already started so I'm not sure where the need for extra education comes from.

You'll learn more from doing deals and doing them often than anyone can teach you in a classroom. Find local meetups, ask questions, and network. Maybe you can find a mentor and do a JV deal of some sort where you front or lend the money in exchange for mentorship so you can earn and learn simultaneously.

User Stats

Votes
Phillip Austin
  • Property Manager
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 17 2023, 05:10

I agree with @Bob Okenwa. Save your money! And instead, focus that time and energy on growing your network either through local BP meetups (https://www.biggerpockets.com/...) or your local real estate meetups.

It's not WHAT you know but WHO you know!

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Jan 17 2023, 05:15

I agree with others.  You have 3 places already. Use the money for the program to buy another place.  There are online resources like BP and while some of the things differ between Canada and the US, many of the ideas are the same.  Look for a local meet up group. They are often free, or a very small fee to help cover room rental.  TO must have a few groups. Find one with people who have a similar mindset and goals to you.

User Stats

Votes
Zorya Belanger
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Edmonton, Alberta
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Edmonton, Alberta
Replied Jan 19 2023, 09:51

@Pedro NA

I could talk to you about many different programs out there, and maybe help you decide. Personally, just because it has a higher price point, doesn't mean it's better, and often it can be the worst value for your money. And don't make the mistake of thinking, "well after investing that kind of money, I'll surely be motivated to complete the course and take action." That wears off quickly and shouldn't be the motivator. Ask me how I know.
The other important factor in choosing a mentor or group coaching program, or course, is the strategy you are focusing on. There are many groups that have popped up in the last few years, and it's best to align yourself with other investors focusing on the same niche... duplex conversion, flips, multifamily, short-term rentals, rent-to-own, joint ventures... what's your niche? 

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Vass Scott
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Mar 17 2023, 11:48

My biggest advice as an agent and investor is: don't get stuck in "analysis paralysis".  These guys always say buying your first property is the hardest, which I will attest to, it took me two years before I jumped in the ring back in 2005.

Start looking, pick your areas, network with people, I have a list of investors that I am always looking for, if something comes up I immediately contact them with the details to see if it suits.

Don't waste your funds on more courses, there is so much free information out there.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Crowell
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Mansfield, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Mansfield, MA
Replied Apr 11 2023, 03:02

I agree with Melissa. I was someone who had been stuck in "analysis paralysis." I can tell you the best teacher, experience! Nothing teaches you more than doing. Remember, you can read a book about the piano, or you can sit down and learn by playing it. Listen, you're going to make mistakes, we all have. But, you don't want to waste your money on someone or something with absolutely no return. Jump in and believe in yourself. There are a ton of free resources out there like BP. Take advantages of those and keep your money for your investments. Good luck!