New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Mike Yeung
Votes |
Mike Yeung / Real Estate investor

Mike Yeung
Posted Feb 2 2023, 12:39

Hello, I am new to real estate investing and hope to learn and grow to become a full time investor.

User Stats

Votes
Miranda Micire
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Feb 2 2023, 12:51

Welcome! Where are you looking to invest? What types of properties?

User Stats

Votes
Marcela Hoag
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Feb 2 2023, 19:51

Hi Mike! 

Welcome! 

My husband and I are investors in the Greater Seattle area. Let me know if you have any questions about getting started! 

Marcela Hoag Real Estate Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 3 2023, 06:51
Quote from @Mike Yeung:

Hello, I am new to real estate investing and hope to learn and grow to become a full time investor.

Hi Mike, welcome to BiggerPockets! This is for sure a great platform for networking. I always recommend the book “Rich dad, Poor dad” by Robert T. Kiyosaki to anyone starting out. Start listening to the BiggerPockets podcast starting at the very beginning. Start growing your network, look on Facebook/BiggerPockets for different events, find a mentor doing what you want to do, and get to know the local lenders/brokers. Best wishes on your real estate journey!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 3 2023, 07:05

Hey Mike! Welcome to BP! You've taken the first step by seeking out information and education to achieve your goal of becoming a full-time investor.

Real estate investing can be lucrative and rewarding, but it also requires hard work, dedication, and continuous learning. Here are some tips to help you get started:

-Educate yourself: Read books, attend seminars, and take online courses to gain a solid understanding of real estate investing concepts and strategies.

-Network with experienced investors: Joining a local real estate investment club or reaching out to experienced investors can provide valuable insights, connections, and mentorship opportunities.

-Create a business plan: Define your investment goals, target market, and strategies to help guide your decision making and stay focused on your long-term vision.

-Start small: Don't be afraid to start with a smaller investment to gain experience and build up your portfolio.

-Seek professional help: Working with a real estate agent and lender/broker can help you out quite a bit when navigating what deals are worthwhile and which aren't. 

Let me know if you ever have any questions. 

User Stats

Votes
    Alli Breighner
    • Lender
    • San Diego, CA
    Votes |
    • Lender
    • San Diego, CA
    Replied Feb 3 2023, 11:14

Hi Mike! Would love to discuss real estate with you. 

Shoot me a DM if you're interested. Happy to connect!

User Stats

Votes
    Mike Yeung
    Votes |
    Replied Feb 4 2023, 05:52
    Quote from @Miranda Micire:

I am looking at the midwest, seems to be the only viable region to get in under 250k and make a profit. hope to come back to Seattle market someday down the road

User Stats

Votes
    Mike Yeung
    Votes |
    Replied Feb 4 2023, 05:56
    Quote from @Marcela Hoag:

Hi Mike! 

Welcome! 

My husband and I are investors in the Greater Seattle area. Let me know if you have any questions about getting started! 

Thanks Marcela,

I wish I could get into a rental here but it is finalcially out of my leauge. I have had difficuly finding a live event for investing / networking in this area, do you know of any?

User Stats

Votes
    Sam McCormack
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Cincinnati, OH
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Cincinnati, OH
    Replied Feb 5 2023, 16:29
    Quote from @Mike Yeung:

Hi Mike! Welcome to BiggerPockests, you will meet a plethora of people here! Anyone you could need! I am an agent in Cincinnati, known for splitting cash flow and appreciation in OH. Let me know if you are interested in either of those! 

User Stats

Votes
    Harrison Chow
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Replied Feb 6 2023, 07:52
    Quote from @Mike Yeung:

Hi Mike! Welcome to BiggerPockets! Let me know if you're interested in Out of State investing, particularly in the Columbus, Ohio market. Would be happy to chat!

User Stats

Votes
    Remington Lyman#2 Classifieds Contributor
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Votes |
    Remington Lyman#2 Classifieds Contributor
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Replied Feb 6 2023, 13:32
    Quote from @Mike Yeung:

Welcome!

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
    Replied Feb 6 2023, 13:33
    Quote from @Mike Yeung:
    Quote from @Miranda Micire:

I am looking at the midwest, seems to be the only viable region to get in under 250k and make a profit. hope to come back to Seattle market someday down the road

It’s obligatory then that I recommend Columbus Ohio haha.  Lots of previous forum posts from me and others mention the positive population trends and high-tech industry growth here.  

User Stats

Votes
    Dave Skow
    • Lender
    • Seattle, WA
    Votes |
    • Lender
    • Seattle, WA
    Replied Feb 6 2023, 17:20

@Mike Yeung- welcome

BiggerPockets logo
    Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
    |
    BiggerPockets
    Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
    Zeke Liston
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Replied Feb 7 2023, 06:29
    Quote from @Mike Yeung:

Hi Mike, that's great. I would highly recommend getting a plan of action together and setting attainable goals. Otherwise, it's easy to get stuck in analysis paralysis. I bought my first property in November of 2019 and own over 40 doors now, so it is attainable if the right steps are taken. Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions!

User Stats

Votes
    Jacob Sloop
    • Virginia Beach, VA
    Votes |
    • Virginia Beach, VA
    Replied Feb 7 2023, 06:40

Welcome !    Start hitting the books !    Bigger pockets publishes some great material for starters 

User Stats

Votes
    Marcela Hoag
    • Real Estate Broker
    • Seattle, WA
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Broker
    • Seattle, WA
    Replied Feb 8 2023, 10:56
    Quote from @Mike Yeung:
    Quote from @Marcela Hoag:

Hi Mike! 

Welcome! 

Thanks Marcela,

I wish I could get into a rental here but it is finalcially out of my leauge. I have had difficuly finding a live event for investing / networking in this area, do you know of any?

Hi Mike,

I will be attending this event next week actually! I think it could be exactly what you're looking for. 

https://www.meetup.com/realest...

Marcela Hoag Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
    Alfath Ahmed
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Replied Jun 7 2023, 11:41

Hi Mike Yeung! Welcome to Bigger Pockets. The world is your oyster and if you can think of something then you can do it as Napoleon Hill mentioned in his book "Think & Grow Rich". That is the concept that I lived and still live by.

I would first recommend finding your core 4 and reading as many bigger pocket books as you can. I personally read "BRRRRR" by David Greene and "Multi-Family Millionaire" Vol 1 & 2 by Brandon Turner. Those 2 concepts will really help you grasp how to get started in real estate and SCALE SCALE SCALE!

If you are house-hacking, I would choose a B+ location or better because you will not get too many opportunities to house-hack. You can use an FHA loan conventional 5% down loan (Find one without a PMI) that has great loan terms.