• Ashland, VA
Votes |
Passionate about investing and building the network

Christopher Luksa
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ashland, VA
Posted May 20 2023, 11:09

My name is Chris and I am a Marine Corps veteran currently work for Amazon as a program manager. I’m new to Ashland, Virginia and excited to start a new chapter by investing in real estate in this flourishing community. I look forward to learning more about the real estate market and building strong partnerships in the area.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 20 2023, 14:17

Hi Christopher, welcome to BiggerPockets! This is surely the best place to start networking and learning. I always recommend the book “Rich dad, Poor dad” by Robert T. Kiyosaki to anyone starting out. Start listening to the BiggerPockets podcast starting at the very beginning and start growing your network, look on Facebook/BiggerPockets for different events, find a mentor doing what you want to do, and get to know the local lenders/brokers. All the best to your real estate journey!

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Luksa
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ashland, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ashland, VA
Replied May 20 2023, 20:09

Hi Steven - thank you!

Great callout about leveraging social, it is a fantastic resource and really beneficial for someone not familiar with an area. Seeking out experienced investors who are looking for opportunities to mentor is top of mind for me so I appreciate you highlighting that as something to look into early on.

Do you have any general recommendations for podcasts or anything specific to BRRRR?

Thanks,

Chris

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
David Bain
Pro Member
  • Agent
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Agent
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied May 27 2023, 08:32

Hey Chris!

Army veteran from the RVA area myself.  Would love to connect.  Shoot me a message!

User Stats

Votes
Kaja Baum
  • Realtor
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Jun 2 2023, 16:14

Hey @Christopher Luksa. Welcome! I'm out of Stafford, Va. 

David Green's book on Brrrr is a gold mine. As well as J. Scott's book on Flipping Houses. The second will be a bit dated on costs but it's still a great reference manual. 

Would love to connect sometime. Feel free to shoot me a message! 

Kaja

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Luksa
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ashland, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ashland, VA
Replied Jun 4 2023, 07:56

Thank you Kaja,

My wife is tackling BRRRR right now! I'm finishing up Ashley Kehr's Real Estate Rookie and then we'll switch. Always great to get validation from the community that you're headed in the right direction. We'll be in the area starting the end of July, let's chat!

Best,

Chris

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 4 2023, 08:08

@Christopher Luksa another great book, I read (though not a BiggerPockets book) is: Money Hacks Everything you thought you knew about money by Larry Stienhouse it is a great book not only about RE but just money in general definitely a high recommendation along with How to Invest in Real Estate with No (or low) Money down by Brandon Turner, in fact I have yet to read a Brandon Turner book that I didn't like or find loads of knowledge in and the same goes for any of the BP published books I've read to this point.  Another book I strongly recommend to get and keep in your vehicle, briefcase and or desk is Estimating rehab costs by J.Scott

User Stats

Votes
John Norman
  • Realtor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Jun 6 2023, 10:44

Welcome to the investment group @Christopher Luksa! I am a RVA agent (live in Mechanicsville) and creative finance (sub-to, seller fin) investor with a construction background. There are wonderful local FB groups and REI meet ups (usually in Chesterfield) that you should look into to get connected in the community. Your network is your net worth!

Would love to connect with all of us local RVA peeps!

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Luksa
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ashland, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ashland, VA
Replied Jun 9 2023, 14:26

Thanks Chris! Added all three of your recommendations to the list! I love that you threw a general money resource in there since RE is such a broad field that can really touch almost every facet of life/business!

John - Can't wait to explore more of Mechanicsville, what a great area! Keep me posted on the events you're attending, would love to meet up and learn more about your creative financing strategies.

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 9 2023, 16:57

Hi Chris! If you're interested in some hands on experience learning about mid term rentals, I'm looking for help setting up a property in Richmond later this month. Would love to connect while I'm out there for a few days.

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Luksa
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ashland, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ashland, VA
Replied Jun 10 2023, 06:27

Hi Allen - let’s talk!