New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Luis Castillo
Votes |
Any advice is helpful!

Luis Castillo
Posted Apr 23 2024, 08:02

Hello ! I found out about BP when I was reading Brandon Turners book on "Rental Property Investing " and I have just been doing my research for the past 2-3 months.  I currently have a construction management intership lined up for me during the summer but after that I plan on really taking on this real estate adventure.

I plan on house hacking my first property, any advice ? 

Also I later plan on using the BRRRR method, my father runs a small construction company and has been in construction for over 25 years. I just recently helped him get his GC license so finding a contractor is not an issue. I convinced him to invest but we both need some knowledge so any advice on that is greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Dasch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Replied Apr 23 2024, 08:48

Welcome! That is great that you are already going to be in construction. That will be a huge benefit as dealing with contractors is one of the hardest parts of the business in my opinion. The best advice I can give is to learn here and then take action with the realization that everything isnt going to be perfect the first time around, but if you continue it will pay off in the long run!

User Stats

Votes
Luis Castillo
Votes |
Replied Apr 23 2024, 10:21
Quote from @Taylor Dasch:

Welcome! That is great that you are already going to be in construction. That will be a huge benefit as dealing with contractors is one of the hardest parts of the business in my opinion. The best advice I can give is to learn here and then take action with the realization that everything isnt going to be perfect the first time around, but if you continue it will pay off in the long run!

Thanks for the advice ! Ill continue to soak in all the knowledge I can 
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Ann Marrazzo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Replied Apr 24 2024, 06:50

Brandon Turner's book was the perfect start for me! I was hooked, and I haven't stopped learning and growing in this industry since picking it up a little over a year ago. The RE Rookie podcast from Bigger Pockets is FANTASTIC! Soak in every episode you possibly can. David Greene has a great book on BRRRR. Being that you have a construction start (I am so jealous because this is a HUGE plus for you!), you may not need the book on estimating rehab costs by J Scott; it's great if you want to check it out though! If you're planning on keeping properties as LTR, I HIGHLY recommend Heather Turner's (Brandon's wife) book on managing rental properties. There's a meetup--red stick investors group--here in BR that is great for meeting other people in RE and learning. I'm happy to be a friendly face if you ever want to check it out! Investing is my first and primary love, but I'm also a realtor in BR. I'd love to chat any time about all things RE!