Buying first income property

5 Replies

Sounds like you plan on living in one?

If that's the case that is a great way to start. If I were to do it all over again I would've bit the bullet and bought a 4-unit in Long Beach that we had in contract as my starter. We had to pass on it due to repairs and my wife wasn't too interested in the idea of living next to tenants.

If you can stretch yourself, you should start with a 4-unit, live in one and rent out the other 3. Getting 3 checks will quickly be more exciting than just one check.

Good luck.

Promotion
Sundae
Property Marketplace
Find Professionally Vetted Properties from Motivated Sellers
Eliminate the need to hunt for houses again. We bring your next investment opportunity to you.

Thanks guys. I plan to not live in it, strictly for investment income. When do FHA loans apply? Is it open to investors? I have to research this. I think for my first investment property it should be small and close to where I live. Don't you think?

Hey @Sean Abrams Welcome! I believe it really does have to depend on the market. You may want to do the calculation yourself via the http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investment-calculator

If you haven't checked out the The BiggerPockets Podcast yet, I highly recommend it!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you