Hi! Introducing myself from IL!

3 Replies

Hello all!

I'm a 45 year old work from home and homeschooling mom of three. I currently teach some college classes online, and own a small business selling jewelry making supplies on Etsy.

As we reach our mid 40's hubby and I have been thinking a lot about retirement. He is a full time prof at our local community college. He has a good pension with match through the State University Retirement System, but we want to add other things to our retirement income, so we are looking at getting into buy and hold in the next few years.

Right now we are doing a "Dave Ramsey" plan to pay off all debt. When we get to next step we plan to save 3 months of living expenses, then start piling money onto our current mortgage and saving to buy real estate for our retirement income. Thankfully college for the kids is mostly taken care of. They will get two years tuition free at the community college, then they have a trust fund set up by my mom before she died to pay the rest.

So we hope to start buying in a couple of years. In the meantime I am reading reading reading! I've been practicing running some basic numbers.... just using the 50% rule to see what the cash flow looks like.

Any hints or suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Edie

@Edith TenBroek - Welcome! You are doing all the right things - it took us 2 years of paying off debt and saving before we were able to buy our first investment. In the meantime, check out the podcasts. Even though I am not a new investor, I have learned a lot about the various types of REI.

PS - I want to homeschool my kids (once I have them)

@Edith TenBroek Welcome!

I'd suggest checking out the following resources:

1.http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

2.http://www.biggerpockets.com/files

3.The Ultimate Beginners Guide to Real Estate Investing

These are really great places to get immersed in the benefits and tools of this community!

If you ever have any questions feel free to reach out to me any time!

Promotion
Guaranteed Rate
Guaranteed Rate is a top mortgage lender
Save $1,290 on your next home – no lender fee*
Get special perks like $1,290 in lender fee savings when you buy a second home with Guaranteed Rate.
Apply Now

Welcome to BP community @Edith TenBroek ! It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more.

Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Wishing you the best!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you