Newbie from Springfield, VA

6 Replies

Hello BP community and soon-to-be friends.  I am excited to join what already seems like a warm gathering of people, sharing inestimable experience.

Originally from the Philly area, I relocated for work (regional sales) in the DC area about a year ago.  Instead of selling my home in PA when moved, I decided to, and am currently renting it out.  RE investing has been something I've wanted to do since I received my first RE investing book at age 9 inside my stocking that Christmas morning.  I still consider myself a beginner to RE, and the field commercial interests me most right now.  I plan to dedicate a lot of time to the subject and thank you all in advance for your guidance.

I'm looking forward to attending events, reading the forums, and meeting some of you along the way. 

Cheers,

Devin

Welcome to Biggerpockets!

We are buy and hold investors in single family homes. Specifically in class A investments so we can self manage. We also got started in renting out our home when we were transferred. The bug bit us and 3 years later we have 5 houses :)

We invest through two methods, pure rentals, and personals turned rentals. We love leverage so we highly leverage our houses for maximum potential. On the other hand we do not refinance our houses out to allow stability. We invest in areas were appreciation is higher than inflations. As our goal is for early retirement in 15 years :)

You will love the diverse community and all the resources. So a great place is to look around the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts for different niches. If you see a post you enjoy check out the persons signature. Many of us including myself talk about our strategies, styles, niches and business model on our website. So definitely check that out as it is an amazing additional resource. For example, my blog is about while working full time, buy and hold investing, 0% Down Rentals, Personal Properties turned rentals, Long distancing investing, self-managing 3,000+ miles away. Definitely list your blog or website in your signature, if you have one. Its a great additional networking source.

Look forward to seeing and connecting with you around! 

Promotion
Sharestates
America's Private Lender
Receive Fix and Flip Funding Approval In As Little As 24 Hours!
Sharestates helps developers and brokers secure funding quickly with the most competitive terms.
Get Funded

@Devin McMonigle  

Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 90 past ones to catch up on.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good luck

Paul

Hi Devin,

Like you, I am new to Bigger Pockets, however, am not new to real estate. Have been investing in real estate since 2001. Have been through the upswing and downturn. No matter what ... our company is still in the game. My name is Uniqca V. Powell, and I am a licensed Realtor in DC and in MD. I am affiliated with Bradford Real Estate Group, LLC. We also have a separate company called: Farmershi Consultant. Through this entity, we manage residential homes (1 to 4 units) in Washington, DC. Additionally, we design/build homes in DC, and we are residential redevelopers (aka wholesalers) with hopes to get back into investing in real estate and rebuilding our portfolio. For now, I am helping other cash buyers/investors to build their portfolio both on the wholesale and retail marketplace.

Thus, if you have any questions or need assistance in the Washington, DC, or Maryland (PG County or Montgomery County) marketplace, we would be happy to help you.  To this end, I found this link on BiggerPockets, and you may find it helpful to you as well as you analyze your property portfolio.  Click here --> http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/88/topics/2551...

Congratulations and Welcome to BiggerPockets!!!  Now, let's close some deals!!!

Uniqca V. Powell, 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you