• San Jose, CA
Votes |
Hello from San Jose, CA

Justin Lee
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Posted Mar 5 2015, 23:58

Hello everyone,

I'm an anesthesiologist trying to dig out of a mountain of student loan debt while supporting a wife and 3 young children in the Bay Area.  When I started private practice two years ago, I finally decided it was time to educate myself in financial matters, and boy, was it an eye-opening experience.  I made a lot of dumb choices along the way, but I think I'm finally starting to get on the right track.  I paid off $35k in credit card debt, $25k in high interest student loans, and bought a house in San Jose with 5% down. 

I started investing my retirement money in the stock market about a year ago, using a modified David Swenson Yale portfolio strategy, and so far, results have been underwhelming. I know it's only been one year (the 1st out of the next 30), but I know there has to be better opportunities out there. I want lower risk and higher returns, which led me to looking at real estate.

A while ago I attended a free lunch hosted by a physician real estate investor who works with a syndicator doing large commercial multifamily deals and their presentation got me excited. Early in his career, the investor had started off buying rental properties, moved on to small multifamily units, but got tired of "tenants and toilets", and is now involved in commercial multifamily. He has enough income from real estate to be able to work as a doctor when he wants to, not because he has to, which is exactly what I want to be able to do.  I love my job, but burnout rates are high in the current healthcare environment. 

I am a complete novice when it comes to real estate and investing, but I love to learn new things. Since discovering Bigger Pockets less than a week ago, I think I've spent over 20 hours listening to podcasts, scouring the forums, and reading blog posts. I even bought J Scott's The Book on Flipping Houses and The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs. There is a TON of information here on real estate, and it is SO overwhelming!  I just hope I can turn all this knowledge into action soon, but I feel like I have such a long way to go before I'm ready to jump into something.

Thank you to everyone out there who shares your knowledge and experience. This community is amazing and I hope to be a regular contributor here eventually. 

Justin

Loading replies...