• Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
New to BP: I'm a TX Lawyer / REI in the DFW area

James Miller
  • Attorney
  • Fort Worth, TX
Posted May 19 2015, 10:51

Hi BiggerPockets:

First: what a great internet forum for REIs. And kudos to the web design team; great interface with the website and the iPhone app. 

Second: About me. My name is James Miller. I'm a native Texan who currently lives in Dallas but about to move to Fort Worth. I grew up in Arlington TX and graduated from Arlington High School. I did my BA at UT Austin (2004), and my JD at Tex. Wesleyan Univ. Sch. of Law (now Texas A&M Sch. of Law) in 2010. I am married to my beautiful wife Haylie and we're expecting our first son in July. I love financial markets and investing, photography, cooking, fishing, and table-top gaming with friends. I also have a soft spot (pun intended) for BBQ turkey in any traditional BBQ style and for a good bowl of beef Pho. 

Third: My REI goals. My goals are to create day-job income by providing legal advice and services in the areas of entity formation, asset protection, estate planning, trusts, probate, real estate, and small business law. My main website is really just a business card on the internet (www.lawjrm.com). I do have a new estate planning practice website (www.texasinternetwills.com) and I'm in the process of putting together an LLC / small business website. (We lawyers have to pay a fee and get state bar approval on our websites/advertising. Grrrr.) I hope to launch it in the next month or so.

I then plan to convert excess income into fix-and-rents in the DFW area. I currently own a small multifamily property with three other investors and we plan to increase units as time goes by. I have little to no desire to be a wholesaler; but, I'd be interested in buying good fix and rents in the D/FW area, in the B/C categories, although for C properties my Spanish skills are sketchy at best. Condos, townhomes, small multifamily preferred, although lower end SFRs would be considered. 

Fourth: my REI experience. I have legal experience representing landlords and tenants in eviction proceedings and eviction appeals in TX. I have experience representing landlords in placing entity structures (typically LLCs and LPs) in place to hold title to and operate real estate in TX. I am an officer of a real estate investment company with a small multifamily property in Dallas and I handle the day-to-day and books for the company. I have also handled easement and dead conveyances for commercial properties in D/FW. I also have experience construction and mechanic's lien law in TX.

Fifth: next steps for me. After my move to Fort Worth, I will be looking at using capital from existing investors and me to acquire some more fix and rents. I also intend to join one or more REI clubs in D/FW to get more exposure to wholesalers and other "bird dogs". I also plan on forming new investment companies with other investors, or to be an investor in other investment companies; however, there are strict rules on publicly advertising or soliciting offers. (This is not an offer to buy or sell any security. It is merely the wishful thinking of a REI for something to happen in the future, probably the far future.)

Ok. I think that works for an introduction. :) I'm really digging the 'vibe' of BP as opposed to other investor communities like fat wallet etc.. 

Loading replies...