Newbie from (Fayetteville North Carolina)

16 Replies

My name is Phillip, I am originally from NC. I am in the military and live in Okinawa. I have zero experience in real estate (I've always been very debt adverse) I actually found Bigger Pockets through one of my other investment podcast (@jrdorkin was featured) My long term goal would be to own 20+ units. However, I am just learning about the industry and am joining to gain some insight and see other peoples questions. I'm sure I will be asking some crazy questions please just bare with my rookie-ness.

Thanks George! I am sure I will be in touch with you. It seems like it would be very difficult to do your due diligence at a distance like we are, yet I think it will be beneficial to take a step back and truly get a strategy and guidelines to follow. I have always invested (since I was 18) but mostly stocks/mutual funds/ETFs ect. So this area of investing is very new to me. Thanks again for the hospitality !

Hey Dawn! I actually heard your podcast last night. I felt that is was pretty insightful especially being able to relate to the area as well as the learning about being a Real Estate agent as a first step. If/when I go home to visit it would be awesome to grab coffee and pick your brain.

P.S GO Tar Heels !

@Phillip Boyd

Welcome.

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com You can do these via phone.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul

Good morning @Phillip Boyd thank you for your service and yes always GO TARHEELS (two time alumnus I can't help it!) Welcome to the BP family you're defiantly off to the right track just gaining knowledge and you will find an abundance of it here. I always recommend the podcast and seems like you're already diving in there as well so I would say keep up the god work you're already ahead of the game. I'm actually in Charlotte but my folks live about 30 mins outside Chapel Hill so when you're back state side be sure to let me know!

GOOD LUCK!!

@Phillip Boyd

Welcome to the site and thank you for your service! This is the best resource you'll have for educating yourself about real estate investing and deciding which niche is right for you. I encourage you to stay active on the site and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of knowledgeable, helpful people who frequent this site that will gladly help.

Welcome to Bigger Pockets @Phillip Boyd .  I bought my first two properties in Fayetteville in 2006 and have purchased many more starting last year.  It is a good market, with plenty of opportunity with the military bases nearby.  It would be great to connect and talk sometime.

Thank you everyone for the welcome. @Mark Brogan that is exactly what I will be doing. @Jasmine S. I am almost done with listening to all of them. I will definitely let you know when I leave here, I should be getting orders back to the states in about 5 months (fingers crossed that its a nice location) . Thanks @Michael Jobe for the tip! @Lee Huffman I would def like to meet up with any of the local people back home and get some insight.

thanks again everyone!!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you