Newbie paint and carpet question

2 Replies

Hi Newbie here We just bought our first investment property in the neighborhood where we live. It was a Fannie Mae owned 2 Bd 1 Ba condo which we currently have rented out. When we bought the place It had brand new carpeting and paint (probably the cheapest they could find) my question is how often should I expect to have to repaint and put in new carpeting and when I do should I follow Fannie's example and go for the cheapest as well?

I wouldn't paint anymore than needed. It sounds obvious but my point is you want to minimize the cost of labor/material. Same with carpet. 

However, when the time does come to have to do some work, consider adopting a 'tenant proofing' strategy. What I mean is use products that stand up to higher traffic and carefree tenants. So if you have to rip up carpet in the living room, consider installing laminate flooring. And if you have to replace the linoleum in the kitchen, consider tile; use a durable vinyl in the bathrooms; easily cleanable semi-gloss paint on the walls...

To me those products improve the quality of the property, possibly allowing you to increase rents and they seem to stand the test of time (and negligent tenants). 

Brandon wrote this article on his interior paint study

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you