New Member, Virginia!

20 Replies

Hello all! I'm located in Virginia and am interested in learning about investing in real estate. I'm 25 years old and currently looking to invest in my first property! It's all very exciting but a bit overwhelming, I'm hoping I can gain much knowledge from everyone on this site. Thanks for the read and nice to meet you all! 

@James Wise

You are from Cleveland, Ohio! I am from Mentor, Ohio and still have family in that area. I visit from time to time, the West Side Market will always have a place in my heart haha! I always think about how run down Cleveland seemed and hope it grows into the great city that people want to visit. It seems to have been picking up these past couple years luckily! It definitely has changed since I left five years ago.

Originally posted by @Amanda R. :

@James Wise

You are from Cleveland, Ohio! I am from Mentor, Ohio and still have family in that area. I visit from time to time, the West Side Market will always have a place in my heart haha! I always think about how run down Cleveland seemed and hope it grows into the great city that people want to visit. It seems to have been picking up these past couple years luckily! It definitely has changed since I left five years ago.

Oh yea, Cleveland is on a nice upswing lately. The future is bright here.

Mentor is really nice. Reminds me of my hometown Parma.

@Amanda R. 

@Amanda R. undefined

Welcome!! My husband and I own an investment property in Portsmouth, VA. What type of investing are you interested in? Flipping? Wholesaling? Buy and hold? You will find lots of great information on here!

Liz

@liz 

@Liz Rogers undefined

Hey! Thanks for the greeting. I'm currently trying to get into renting property. Right now I'm looking to buy a home to live in for around a year or so while I finish the remainder of my time in the military, then I want to rent it out once I leave. If you have any guidance or anyone you would recommend for home buying by all means, message me! I'm very new to this so any hep you can share is very welcome. Thanks again :)

Originally posted by @Amanda R. :

Hello all! I'm located in Virginia and am interested in learning about investing in real estate. I'm 25 years old and currently looking to invest in my first property! It's all very exciting but a bit overwhelming, I'm hoping I can gain much knowledge from everyone on this site. Thanks for the read and nice to meet you all! 

Hello Amanda,

Welcome to the BIGGERPOCKETS community! You have arrived at the appropriate destination for real estate investment information. You should do your due diligence before "jumping in". Once you feel comfortable try it out. You will not as much without putting the literature to work.

Good luck!

Hey Amanda, welcome to BP and congratulations on deciding to jump in head first to investing. There are a lot of great people on BP and in Hampton Roads that are doing things the right way. I work with a ton of investors locally, some are brand new and other that have been in the game for a while. If you ever have questions about investing in flips or buy and holds please feel free to reach out. I mainly deal with the Hampton Roads area and can help with hot and cold spots of the area. Good luck and be sure to use this platform's best asset, which is truly connecting with some of the most brilliant minds in real estate. Most are happy to share because they themselves remember their first years. 

Welcome. You were me 6 months ago. Now I have one buy and hold and have my first flip completed and under contract in the Hampton Roads area. Listen to all the podcasts, decide the ONE investment strategy you want to focus on and immerse yourself in that, find he best deal you can and JUST DO IT. THE LEARNING IS IN THE DOING!!! Good luck. 

Thanks everyone! I'm excited for things to pick up soon so I can actually start getting a feel for it. It's definitely overwhelming at first but very exciting to think about!

@Amanda R.

Welcome to BP Amanda. That is awesome to hear, your first investment property, GOOD LUCK!!!!! I know you said you want to live in this property for about a year while you finish your service. Do you want a house that is move in ready or do you want to fix it up while you live there? And i assume you are wanting a SFH and not MFH then, correct? Again good luck with everything and this site is awesome for advice.

@Shawn Hughbanks

Thanks for the encouragment. I'm definitely looking for a SFH and looking for something that I could do minor repairs to. Newer homes definitely look nice from the get-go but I want to get into something physically and make my own choices about what I want to do to a house that needs something already done to it. I think once I learn more about the small things like this it'll help me later on when and if I decide to flip a property. It sounds fun to do right now but it's definitely something I need to have some experience in before jumping headfirst (not that people haven't gotten good results from doing that sort of thing), so SFH with minor repairs is my aim.

@Amanda R. , welcome to BiggerPockets! I'm fairly new to the site, too. I've found that there are a lot of helpful resources and investors on this site. Be sure to network as often as you can and to use the resources to the fullest.

I'm an investor in Columbia, SC. Let's connect...I'll send you a collegue request!

Ashley J.

Hello @Amanda R. , welcome to BP! Brandon Turner and Joshua Dorkin are big proponents for rental properties, and you can learn many great tips from listening to the podcasts. There are great investors to network with around here, and many great resources across this site to utilize. Happy investing!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you