Newbie from Los Angeles, CA

10 Replies

Hello, I have just joined the site after listening for a while to the BP podcast. I started REI in 2002 and have since purchased 2 investment properties, one in Inglewood, CA and another in the Mar Vista neighborhood of Los Angeles. I'm now looking to buy a 3rd, but I'm not yet sure where I want to buy. I'm open to some markets outside of CA, but preferably in the western part of the US. I'd be interested in connecting with people that have purchased out of state in places like Boise, ID or Portland, OR. My goal is to buy and hold and generate passive income.

@Ken Weiner

Welcome to BiggerPockets!

Congratulations on your first two properties.  I hope you purchased them when property values were not as high as they are today and returns we're at least attractive.

Considering other markets might make good sense.  I started investing out-of-state back in early 2004.  It was the right move at the time and still is today.

Be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts so you'll be notified when people mention that which interests you here in the forums.

Also check out my 10 Rules of Successful Real Estate Investing and download The Ultimate Guide to Passive Real Estate Investing.

Continues success!

I recently met Jonna Weber at a BP meet up. She is a buy and hold investor here in Boise that has great experience and knows the market very well. Jonna was also a gest on the podcast #80 I believe. Stacy McBain is also an agent that specializes in residential income properties that I know here. 

@Ken Weiner - Welcome!  Yes, if you decide to seriously research Boise, just let me know and I will hook you up with the latest stats and info.  We are currently working with some other great investors from the Los Angeles area.   @Cody Stone - thank you for the mention!   

Originally posted by @Ali Boone :

Hey Ken! Where in Mar Vista did you buy? I live in Venice and am in or around Mar Vista all the time. I love the area!

Welcome to the BP crew!

Thanks.  I bought a 2-unit on Venice Blvd near Sawtelle.  One of the cheapest multi-units on the west side at the time I bought in 2010.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you