Young Pro in ATX

5 Replies

Hi There,

My name is Robert, and I'm curious about obtaining some property in Austin at a good value, either for myself or to rent. I'm a first time buyer.

I'm an engineer for a local startup with little real estate experience.

Robert

Hey @Robert Fortenberry  welcome to the site! Definitely start jumping into the community here! Be sure to read through The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing to help you get started.

Also - here's a couple articles you might enjoy:

The 21 Best Real Estate Investing Books Ever

How to Rent Your House: The Definitive Step by Step Guide

How to Be a Landlord: Ten Tips for Success

Finally -be sure to setup some keyword alerts - especially for "Austin" so you can jump into local conversations.

See you around the forums!

@Robert Fortenberry

Welcome to the site.

I would connect with some local agents. Have them start sending you some properties so you get a feel for the market. Then when the time is right get out there and tour some homes and put in some offers.

As a first time home buyer you should be able to get FHA financing on an owner occupied duplex. Thats a great way to become a home owner and a landlord with very little money out of pocket.

Good luck to you & I'll see you around the forums.

Robert,

You should also consider attending some of the local investor meetups to expand your network. There is a well attended meetup every Thursday at 11:30 at Big Daddy's burgers on 183 and Burnet.

Hope to see you there. 

Reach out if I can answer any questions about the Austin market.

Hi Robert - Welcome to the Bigger Pockets World.  

It's not hard to become a real estate investor - there are always properties for sale that fit someone's needs.  Especially in Austin.

From flips, to buy and holds, and everything in-between - you just have to find out what your desires are - Let me know if I can help in any way.

Here's to Desires & their Completion

Eric

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you