• Jenison, MI
Votes |
New investor from Jenison/Grand Rapids, Michigan

Mark Jager
  • Sr. Software Engineer, MCPD
  • Jenison, MI
Posted Oct 8 2015, 07:22

Hello Bigger Pockets!

Just wanted to introduce myself and says thanks for such a great resource!  I've been pouring over the blogs and forums absorbing as much knowledge as I can.  The last 3 weeks I've attended the webinars, read ebooks, and have started listening to podcasts.  There is so much good information here, and I'm taking in as much as I can to help jump start my career in RE investing.

A little about myself:  I'm 35 years old and have been happily married to a wonderful wife for 8.5 years and have a son (2 years) and daughter (7 months).  I've been a software developer for 17 years specializing in Microsoft technologies and have my BS degree in Information Systems.  15 years ago I started learning about RE investing from a co worker that was embarking on this journey, and I read books like Rich Dad Poor Dad, Cashflow Quandrant, Total Money Makeover, How to Win Friends and Influence People, and other various "motivational/self-help books".  I found all this very fascinating and exciting but being young, and lacking money I found the prospect of RE very intimidating and focused on what I was comfortable with which is technology.  Starting a family further derailed my dreams of RE investing as it just seemed too risky at the time.  Now I find myself coming to the realization that the best time to act is now.  I can no longer make excuses and if I want to truly provide for my family then I need to start taking steps now to achieve my goals.  Although I make a decent salary, and benefits provided are nice, I don't have much more room for salary growth, and it just isn't going to cut it if I want to give my family everything they deserve.  

I signed up to attend a local RE Investment Group that will be meeting this Monday to start networking and building relationships with like minded people.  So if any of you happen to be going to that event be sure to say hello.

Loading replies...