New investor in the Atlanta / Decatur Georgia area

22 Replies

Hi everyone!

My wife and I recently moved back to Atlanta (Decatur), Georgia, from Tokyo, Japan.  I have been a big fan of Bigger Pockets (particularly the podcasts) for over a year now and am excited to finally get my feet wet.  My wife and I are currently in the market for a personal residence as well as investment properties.  I am most familiar with the Decatur area (near and north of downtown), though we have yet to determine where we will be focusing our investment efforts (including other parts of the country - Portland, Seattle, Denver, Austin...).  Some strategies we are considering are "house hacking" with a multifamily property or moving in to a mildly distressed property with the goal of fixing it up and benefiting from a tax-free sale two years from now. 

I am really hoping to begin getting better acquainted and involved with the local REI community in Decatur and Atlanta:

Can anyone recommend any quality REIAs in the area?  

Are there any regular meet-ups in the area that are worth attending?

I am familiar with the offerings here at Bigger Pockets.  Can anyone recommend other resources (websites, etc.) that you have found to be useful in researching areas and finding deals?  I'm currently using Zillow, Trulia, Redfin, and Realtytrac.  

We will also be looking for financing.  Might any local Atlanta investors have recommendations here?

Thank you!  

Hi Nick, welcome. I'm sure, like me, you're finding that this site is a fantastic tool to learn and network with people close and who have similar interests. I've been researching the Decatur and other parts of Atlanta for years now and have some insight that I'm always happy to share over a cup of coffee. Feel free to reach out if I can help in anyway.

Best of luck to you, Jason

Check out both Atlantareia and GAREIA. Atlantareia has an intown group that meets the 3rd Thursday of the month and GAREIA has a DeKalb group, but haven't received an update from them in a while. Check out anything you can find about the Atlanta Beltline.

Familiarize yourself with the 3 different Decatur's, 1) City of Decatur, 2) Decatur in unincorporated DeKalb near City of Decatur, and 3) the rest of Decatur.

Best of luck. 

Originally posted by @Kevin Polite :

Check out both Atlantareia and GAREIA. Atlantareia has an intown group that meets the 3rd Thursday of the month and GAREIA has a DeKalb group, but haven't received an update from them in a while. Check out anything you can find about the Atlanta Beltline.

Familiarize yourself with the 3 different Decatur's, 1) City of Decatur, 2) Decatur in unincorporated DeKalb near City of Decatur, and 3) the rest of Decatur.

Best of luck. 

 That's helpful, Kevin. Thanks a lot!

Hey @Nick Brubaker ! Welcome back to Georgia from Tokyo. Bigger Pockets has been the best networking source for me and I love the site. There is the Atlanta REIA and its tons of subgroups as well as the Georgia REIA. There are also meetings you can find on meetup.com but many of those for real estate investors are just duplicates/syndications of the Atlanta REIA meetups. There is going to be a Bigger Pockets meetup sometime next month that I RSVP'd too and there is also a sub-forum specifically for Atlanta based real estate investing.

In terms of researching areas and finding deals you mentioned the big consumer facing ones already. I would also recommend you network with a few real estate agents in order to get them to send you deals as well. There are a couple of other websites that I use on a regular basis to try and find deals too. The first is MyHouseDeals.com and the second is oContract.com. Both of them have wholesale deals on them. The other thing I would tell you is to make sure you check out the Bigger Pockets Marketplace. There might be deals there that you can find too. 

Lastly, I'm a little upset that @Jason Hern didn't invite me out to a cup of coffee too! (Joke) :) 

Good luck with your real estate investing Nick!  

Thanks for that @Marvin McTaw !  I went ahead and bookmarked those links.  @Jason Hern was a huge help and quite informed about the area and the business.  I would be happy to participate in another meetup if it happens.  Thanks again!

@Nick Brubaker @Patricia Joseph and @Kevin Polite

Apologies for the delay as I had to search my calendar to actually find the Meetup. Here is the direct link to the meetup that @Micah Redden is putting together. I will also @ reference all of you on the post for it.

@Jason Hern - it would be great to meet up sometime as well. I'll shoot you a message. 

Originally posted by @Marvin McTaw :

@Nick Brubaker @Patricia Joseph and @Kevin Polite

Apologies for the delay as I had to search my calendar to actually find the Meetup. Here is the direct link to the meetup that @Micah Redden is putting together. I will also @ reference all of you on the post for it.

@Jason Hern - it would be great to meet up sometime as well. I'll shoot you a message. 

Thanks Marvin.  I would love to come, but I will be in Atlanta during that time.  

Hello All, 

Sorry to be tardy to the party!

@Nick Brubaker Welcome to BP!  I see you have been given a lot of good information by the people above.

@Marvin McTaw Thanks for the heads up and reference to our local investors meet up!

To everyone else; Please join us for our first local investors meeting during the lunch hour on November 10th in Loganville, GA.  This is a no-sell informal networking event to meet other investors and share ideas.  Please come and introduce yourself and bring a friend/colleague.   Hope to see everyone there!

@Jason Hern @Patricia Joseph @Kevin Polite

Originally posted by @Micah Redden :

Hello All, 

Sorry to be tardy to the party!

@Nick Brubaker Welcome to BP!  I see you have been given a lot of good information by the people above.

@Marvin McTaw Thanks for the heads up and reference to our local investors meet up!

To everyone else; Please join us for our first local investors meeting during the lunch hour on November 10th in Loganville, GA.  This is a no-sell informal networking event to meet other investors and share ideas.  Please come and introduce yourself and bring a friend/colleague.   Hope to see everyone there!

@Jason Hern @Patricia Joseph @Kevin Polite

 Thanks Micah.  Please include me in the next one!

Hello and welcome. Hope you enjoy BP as much as I am. There is a wealth of info on this site. Also try and check out the BP Podcasts. I am learning a great deal from them. I have also just recently just moved back to GA and am new to investing.  Would love to hear about your successes in the future. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you