Do you need to go to real estate school for real estate license

10 Replies

Do you need to go to real estate school for your real estate license? if you know enough information to go take it on your own without the real estate school can you just go get your liscence?

Originally posted by @Romir Talley :

Do you need to go to real estate school for your real estate license? if you know enough information to go take it on your own without the real estate school can you just go get your liscence?

Hello!  My name is Michael Lee.  I have been a Real estate broker since 1980.  As far as I can tell you that you need to go to school no matter what.  Just check that from the people that runs the license bureau.  I have lived in Dallas most of my life and Texas requires a non-owner has to have a license to sell anything and pay the fee.  Good luck to you and Let me know if I could help you.

Originally posted by @Romir Talley :

I seriously doubt you'd pass the test, maybe if you were a lawyer, no guarantee if you were. You need to learn real estate before dealing in real estate. 

For the test, you could be asked how many acres do you have if you have 58,080 square feet in a meets and bounds legal description? Most won't know that off the top of their heads! 

You don't learn real estate from public forums, blogs, videos or gurus, so take a class. :)

I'm taking the course for New York State RE license now.  Thought I would breeze through because of my investing experience.  Not even close.  It's tough.  Lots of memorization.  I'm taking this very seriously and hope I pass!  Fingers crossed.  Good luck.

Folks, whatever your text book may be, here's what I suggest.

Read it all, skip the tests and just read the text to be familiar with the material.

Then go back and read it for content again.

Then take the tests at each chapter, review questions missed. 

Read a couple 3 more chapters taking the test. Then, go back skim previous materials and take the test again. Like read ch 1, take the test, review, then read 2  and 3, do the same thing, then go back to ch 1. 

Quickest way to memorize is repetition in short bursts, read ahead and back up. 

Later review chapters at random, always review missed questions. 

Take the big test usually at the back of the book. 

Watch your math!

It's always the best answer, there can be two right answers. 

Those sample tests are often from the question pool on the exam, memorize the written answer not the letter, they may change in the order of answers. 

I got like 96 or 97 on my agent's exam, aced the broker's exam. The exam proctor accused me of cheating some how, said that can't be. He asked me random questions in his office from his book, I got them all right, he said that's a first, no one had ever aced the broker's test. Okay, I'm not too slow, but I'm not Einstein either! You can do it! :)     

I agree Marilyn - it is hard.  I too figured I'd take the exam and do fairly well; at least enough to pass.  So I took a sample 'test' from a NYS book I purchased and didn't do so well.  I admit I was surprised since I had what I thought was a good handle on terms, etc. but apparently not enough.  Then thought I'd take a Real Estate U course.  I haven't taken it so I can't comment on how it is.  

Where do BP members suggest one go to get educated to take the NYS exam?

Is it worthwhile since having a license is not a necessity for investing?

I like your suggestions Billy.  I toy around with the idea of getting a NYS license, but I am really burned out from formal schooling.  I returned for my bachelors later in life and now I find myself re-educating myself on investing [I guess you could say I'm a lifelong learner].  I like the flexibility and not having a formalized means of study, but it does take discipline, diligence, contacts and money certainly doesn't hurt either.

Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:
Originally posted by @Romir Talley:

I seriously doubt you'd pass the test, maybe if you were a lawyer, no guarantee if you were. You need to learn real estate before dealing in real estate. 

For the test, you could be asked how many acres do you have if you have 58,080 square feet in a meets and bounds legal description? Most won't know that off the top of their heads! 

You don't learn real estate from public forums, blogs, videos or gurus, so take a class. :)

@Marylynn Caruso what course are you taking? I am NY and thinking about doing online or in person. I wish you the best of success!

@Bill Gulley Wish you could be my study buddy! Great advice and I will also incorporate if I proceed further with obtaining the license.

@Pamela DeLorenzo  Did you decide on your course of action yet? I feel quite similar to you. After 2 degrees I feel the same. I wish you all the best of success as well. 

Originally post "Wish you could be my study buddy!" Great advice and I will also incorporate if I proceed further with obtaining the license.

All you need to do is mention me in the forums and I'll address any question you may have for me. :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you