adverse possession in Clay County FL

3 Replies

Hi every one,

I have been trying to buy real estate in Clay County, FL, since the owner died in 2011.  No heirs (living) have been found.  Because I couldn't buy the property, I filed for Adverse Possession.  After filing the paperwork, paying the delinquent taxes, and having the electricity turned on in my name, I was arrested for trespassing. When I went to court, the Judge gave me written permission to return to the property; and I was arrested again.  The house has been vandalized several times, and the neighbors on one side of the house dump their trash in the back yard.

What can I do? 

That's just part of the AP game, not one I've ever been a fan of.  Also, at some point you'll have to prove there are no living heirs, or actually find them (dead heirs usually have living heirs somewhere).  Have you talked to an attorney about this process, or are you just "winging it"?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you