Looking to Learn - Chicago

2 Replies

I am 24 and recently moved to Chicago. With rent being so expensive here, I really want to learn about investing and flipping. I do not have the most money, but I want to see what I can save up and accomplish here in the near future. Hoping to do a live-in flip for 1-3 years. I am an Industrial Designer as well, so I hope to do a lot of custom pieces and furnishings. I am starting from scratch and have a lot to learn & welcome all advice!

@Maggie Rider

Welcome to BP and Chicago!! It's a beautiful city. 

You can learn a ton about real estate here on BP. What you are describing in terms of living in a place is commonly referred to here as house hacking. Research as much and you can and save as much as you can. I just bought a three flat with an FHA loan and am living in the basement unit while I rent out the other two units. It's a great way to start.

Good Luck!!!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you