New to the Real Estate field

5 Replies

Hello all, My name is Christopher and am a senior attending Montclair State University. Im new to the real estate investment world and am looking into purchasing my first income property or flipping homes. I am graduating in May of 2016 and look to seriously pursue something then. I am currently gathering as much info as i possibly can in order to obtain the best results in the future. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

@Christopher Raiser

Welcome to BP. I would challenge you to read and learn as much as you can.  But don't wait till after collage, figure out how you can get a property before then. If nothing else you will learn what it takes to get a property.  Don't wait for life to line up before you start investing, or you never will.  Become a Real Estate investor today! and then go buy a house. 

Welcome!

Just go buy a house right now. If your job or whatever sends you to a different area of the U.S. when you graduate, just pay a property manager to handle your affairs for you.

That is the nice thing about a passive investment, you can engineer yourself right out of the equation, if need be.

Honestly your right, that a really good point. My only concern right now is that I do not want to make a poorly informed decision and just jump the gun and then pay the consequences in the end. Would you all recommend an income property first or flip a home?

@Christopher Raiser

I love a good buy and Hold to start with but in the end it comes down to your goals... 

I would spent the next 4 weeks or so learning everything you possibly can. A great place to start would be BP podcast. listen to 30-40 of them before Christmas. After that you will know what you want to do...  And then set up a meeting with a Banker and find out what loan products you CAN qualify for. Set up a meeting with an agent that works with investors and look at 5 - 10 properties before Jan 15th. run them all through the BP calculators.  Then go back to the loan officer with a few properties.   

just make it happen!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you