• Investor
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Votes |
Dipping toes in the water - Air Force Investor in Ohio

Richard Cook
  • Investor
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Posted Nov 16 2015, 12:07

Hey all, my name is Richard (my friends call me Dan). I am 26 years old and my wife and I have been blessed with a modest inheritance. We currently have the money invested in mutual funds and are getting modest returns. I believe that we have an opportunity here with our situation to really generate some long term wealth if we are smart about where we put our money. 

I'm currently in the early stages of feeling out the real estate field as I think this provides us the best chance to generate some relatively passive income and wealth as the market rebounds. I am in the Air Force, currently stationed in Ohio but moving to Texas (Wichita Falls) in March. I am looking at buying our next home, even though we will only live there for a little over a year - if I can find a good fixer upper that we can improve while we live there and rent it out, we can start our rental trail that is popular with many military families. Many people retire from the military with houses in several locations where they lived and then rented out instead of selling when they moved. 

I am also contemplating getting into mobile home purchasing or even a multifamily unit. We have family in Kansas City, so if we purchased a property there, it would be a nice tax benefit for when we travel to visit. We would also love to retire in Colorado Springs, so any property around there may be nice as well!

Any networking or friendly discussion is welcome - looking forward to being part of the community!

Loading replies...