Marcella Sheerin
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
New Investor in Pittsburgh, PA

Marcella Sheerin
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted Jan 2 2016, 13:36

Hello BP Community!

My name is Marcella Sheerin and I currently live in Cincinnati, OH but am looking to invest in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area (where I am originally from).  I am looking to purchase my first duplex by mid 2016. My goal is to buy a value add property in a B class location. I have a network in Pittsburgh already and plan to use my sister as my property manager. I am currently researching the best locations to get started and any advice on locations and realtors that have experience in the area is greatly appreciated!  

Can't wait to get started!

Marcella

User Stats

Votes
Theo Hicks
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 2 2016, 14:07

Welcome to BP!

I am not familiar with the Pittsburgh market at all, but you already have a plan of what you are looking for, so hopefully the local Pittsburgh real estate professionals on BP can provide you with the market information you are looking for.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Josh Caldwell
  • Investor
  • Dallas TX, United States
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jan 2 2016, 14:49

Welcome @Marcella Sheerin

We have the best income producing market in America.  Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.  Remember cash flow rules in Pittsburgh we dont invest for appreciation.  Keep that in mind and you will do really well 

To your success

Josh 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jacqueline Carrington
  • Investor
  • Corona, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Corona, CA
Replied Jan 2 2016, 15:02

Welcome to BP! I'm originally from Pittsburgh as well. It seems the whole city is under renovation and is a great time to invest. 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan J. Miller
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 2 2016, 15:13

Awesome plan. Let me know if I can be of assistance in any way.

User Stats

Votes
Tavari Keel
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jan 2 2016, 15:29

Hi Marcella,

Out of curiosity, are you looking to invest in PA more so because you used to live there, or because it's a better place to invest? Or both reasons equally? I've never lived in PA, but have read that it's a great place to invest. I live in Cincinnati as well, but I wouldn't mind investing out of state if the right opportunity presented itself.

On that note, a question for @Josh Caldwell: can you elaborate on "we don't invest for appreciation"? Is appreciation negligible in the PA market or something?

User Stats

Votes
Dominic Lucarelli
  • Irwin, PA
Votes |
  • Irwin, PA
Replied Jan 2 2016, 15:30

So many new faces! Welcome to BP!

User Stats

Votes
Josh Caldwell
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jan 2 2016, 17:48

@Tavari Keel  good question.  The reason that we dont invest for appreciation in Pittsburgh is that we are in a really slowly appreciating market.  WE generally go up 1-3% per year.  Nothing to hang your hat on.  Appreciation might happen, it might not.  What we are fantastic for is cash flow. Our median house is in the 126k range, and we can pick up rentals in the 25k range.  

User Stats

Votes
Marcella Sheerin
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jan 3 2016, 12:07

@Josh Caldwell Thank you so much for the information! Do you have recommendations on what areas are better to focus on?    

@Tavari Keel I am interested in the Pittsburgh market for two main reasons; I continue to see reports with Pittsburgh as a top ranked city for long-term real estate investment and I have a support system there already with people that can help with managing the properties.

Thank you all for the support!

User Stats

Votes
Karl Maritato
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jan 3 2016, 19:02

@Josh Caldwell how is the pittsburgh multi-unit market (>/= 8 units)?

User Stats

Votes
Brian Camp
  • Investor
  • Kirkland, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kirkland, WA
Replied Jan 3 2016, 19:07

Welcome Marcella!

I am also originally from the Pittsburgh area, and wish you luck getting started.

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied Jan 4 2016, 04:50

Welcome to BP and best wishes on your plans to get started in Pittsburgh! If I can help with any questions or connections (I know a great realtor for your situation) please let me know.

User Stats

Votes
Gary Swank
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jan 6 2016, 08:36

HI Marcella, I'll be happy to help you find properties in Pittsburgh in which you might want to invest. Since I have lived in all four quadrants of Pittsburgh, I am very familiar with areas that may be appealing to you. I have and am currently working with investors who either live remotely or locally. Would love to talk further. Feel free to reach out to me. 

Gary Swank

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Bonosky
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jan 6 2016, 15:07

Hi Marcella!

Welcome to BP! This site is full of great people and an abundance of information to help you meet your real estate goals. I'm a Realtor and serve the areas between Pittsburgh and Butler. If you'd like any assistance purchasing or selling a property, let me know! Educate yourself, take massive action, and enjoy the ride.

Matt

User Stats

Votes
Chatoyer Woodland
  • Scarsdale, NY
Votes |
  • Scarsdale, NY
Replied Oct 24 2020, 05:47

@Marcella Sheerin I am thinking about investing in the area. How has your journey been in Pittsburgh?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 16 2022, 12:23

@Marcella Sheerin glad to have another Pittsburgh investor on BP! I'm born and raised in Pittsburgh and I'm very active in the local market. Feel free to reach out to me if you ever need any advice on the market.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 23 2022, 21:21

@Vincent Fioravanti

Hey. I would love to hear your advice for the recommended neighborhoods in Pittsburgh for an investor looking for a high cash flow (rentals deals)

All the best

Ran

User Stats

Votes
Justin Windham
Pro Member
  • Solo 401k provider
  • Denver & Hilton Head
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Solo 401k provider
  • Denver & Hilton Head
Replied May 24 2022, 05:02

@Marcella Sheerin

Welcome to the BP!

This is a great forum with very knowledgeable members that will help to guide you in the right direction.

If you are looking to connect with other members near you, or want to learn from people in a specific area you’d like to invest in, or have a desire to find people interested in certain topics, you could use the search feature here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that might interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 27 2022, 11:26
Quote from @Ran Golan:

@Vincent Fioravanti

Hey. I would love to hear your advice for the recommended neighborhoods in Pittsburgh for an investor looking for a high cash flow (rentals deals)

All the best

Ran

Hey Ran! I Sent you a connection request with my contact information. Please feel free to reach out to me anytime

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 10 2023, 15:11
Quote from @Ran Golan:

@Vincent Fioravanti

All the best

Ran