First time home purchase self employed optometrist

2 Replies

I am a self employed optometrist with my own practice which started 6 months ago. I am trying to purchase my first home and I have run into difficulty getting a loan. Everyone I have spoken too has told me that I need to have two years of tax returns for the business in order to be considered for a loan. I have asked banks about physician loans, but because I am self employed they have all told me that I those don't apply to my situation. Is any one aware of any options for me to look into for my situation? Would a real estate broker have more options for me? If so, can anyone recommend a real estate broker for the Greenwood, South Carolina area? Any other suggestions? Thank you so much for your help!

Hey Samuel,

Welcome to the community.   Being self employed 6 months in your field is much better than say self employed 6 months in the real estate field.:)  I feel certain in todays market you are in a great position since it is a buyers market. There are plenty of awesome deals for someone in your position.  Consider a lease to own.  For now, it might work well for you for 2yrs.  There are plenty of owner/sellers that will work with you.  May even owner finance you on better terms than your bank.  Take your time and interview some real estate brokers and talk with some owners too, if you are comfortable with that.  Reach out to the BP crowd local in your area.  Best of Luck and keep everyone posted on your successes!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you