Investor from Oregon

14 Replies

Hi everyone, my wife and I are part-time real estate investors and landlords in the Portland metro area. We got into real estate investment after seeing what our two homes lost in value in 2007-2008. We decided to keep those properties and buy more. We currently have 4 SFR rentals plus our own residence in Tualatin. Our strategy has been basically BRRR without the R.

Hi Patrick,

I'm from Tualatin as well! I'm just getting started with investing. Nice to see some fellow community members here. I am wanting to get into wholesaling. Let me know how I can help you! 

Hi Jeff, thanks for the welcome.   Obviously, if you come across a good purchase opportunity send me a message!   There are lots of Portland area folks on this site.  You may want to check out local real estate investment meetings.  One I know about is the Rare Bird meeting.  They meet regularly at the Lucky Lab in Multnomah.  http://myrarebird.com/

Originally posted by @Evan Bellingar :

Welcome Patrick,

Greetings from further down 99W.

Which "R" are you skipping? :)

Evan

Thanks Evan! I used to work at Prov Newberg. It's a great little town. To answer your question, it is complicated. We have done all of the steps of BRRRR, but not on the same property, at least not yet, and not necessarily in that order. All of our rentals have had some rehab work done, but not necessarily before they were first rented. We have managed to buy multiple properties that are now rented. But three started out as personal residences. So we have done the "repeat" step. We have done one cash-out refi, to pay off an existing mortgage with a high interest rate, but not to acquire additional property. At least not yet. We plan on doing that again this year to acquire at least one more property.

@Patrick Campbell , Welcome to BP, it's good to see you found your way here as well as Rarebird. :-) I see you're going all in with a Pro account, that's great, it gives you more options in the resources. 

I've been a member for some time now and have met some wonderful people. Every now and then, someone will arrange a BP meet and greet, I've been to several of them and always walk away with a more knowledge and contacts.

Good Luck.

Originally posted by @Randy Johnston :

@Patrick Campbell, Welcome to BP, it's good to see you found your way here as well as Rarebird. :-) I see you're going all in with a Pro account, that's great, it gives you more options in the resources. 

I've been a member for some time now and have met some wonderful people. Every now and then, someone will arrange a BP meet and greet, I've been to several of them and always walk away with a more knowledge and contacts.

Good Luck.

Originally posted by @Patrick Campbell:
Originally posted by @Randy Johnston:

@Patrick Campbell, Welcome to BP, it's good to see you found your way here as well as Rarebird. :-) I see you're going all in with a Pro account, that's great, it gives you more options in the resources. 

Good Luck.

Thanks Randy!   If you hear about a BP meet and greet in our area let me know 

Originally posted by @Patrick Campbell:
Originally posted by @Randy Johnston:

Thanks Randy !   I am already using the rental property calculator  and reading resources 

Originally posted by @Patrick Campbell :

Hi Jeff, thanks for the welcome.   Obviously, if you come across a good purchase opportunity send me a message!   There are lots of Portland area folks on this site.  You may want to check out local real estate investment meetings.  One I know about is the Rare Bird meeting.  They meet regularly at the Lucky Lab in Multnomah.  http://myrarebird.com/

Great! Thanks Patrick.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you