Cory Slocum
  • Central Point, OR
Votes |
The Big Start

Cory Slocum
  • Central Point, OR
Posted May 23 2016, 16:33

Hello whole new world!

A little background on me. Grew up with family in the real estate business. Stepdad was a realtor and his brother was/is a builder in southern Oregon before the crash. I have always thought I would be in real estate. But I am more of a technology guy..  Anyways. I'm 24 years old married and we just had a little one. Currently in the military stationed in DC. We purchased our first home in MD when we moved here. Once our kid was born I started thinking of was to invest and save and be able to pass onto him one day and real estate came back into mind. I happened to run across BP podcast by chance and instantly got hooked and have been listening to them non stop everyday when I drive to/from work. (~hour each way..)

Now idea/start/plan/xyz..

-Looking to get into the buy and hold.   
-Looking in Wisconsin (More to come)
-little over 10k to start...
-Great Credit.

Why am I not looking in my area... One) to expensive. Two) Just don't like it here. 
Why you looking in Wisconsin? Well I have a Long time friend that I would like to go into this business with and he currently lives in Wisconsin and the home price is more in range in that area. We are currently are stuck just looking at Zillow/Redfin/Loopnet.. drooling over what we see. Its easy to listen to podcast and read books and think you can do it but actually doing it is a lot harder/scarier..

Option 1. Looking at Multi-Family homes where to start he will live in on unit an landlord the rest while we improve the property, then move on.

Option 2. Single family home to "get feet wet" by buying a renting one unit. 

Hope to meet some awesome people here and get lots of help then to be able to help others. Thanks!

Ps. sorry If I jumped around really eager and motivated to get into this!

Loading replies...