• Realtor
  • Mcallen, TX
Votes |
New member from South Texas

David Slovak
  • Realtor
  • Mcallen, TX
Posted May 30 2016, 00:56

Hi, my name is David Trevino and I am currently living in McAllen Tx.  I am an educator and love to learn as much as I enjoy teaching.  I have been reading as many Robert Kiyosaki books as I have been able to make time for and feel I have a decent grasp of RE investing, yet I feel apprehensive and somewhat lost surprisingly with how to get started.

I recently declined a subscription to join the Rich Dad Coaching sessions due to funds (way too expensive) and have decided to stick with other means of learning the business by way of conversations with people that have had success in RE investing.  My primary interests revolve around buy-and-hold and possibly flipping.  I have yet to reschedule a seminar on flipping now that summer has started which means time to catch up on life and BIG PLANS!  I wish to find a home to live in rather than renting so that I may one day move out and rent out that location.  If I can land a duplex to live in and rent out while living there, that would be ideal.  What I have noticed, however, is that most duplexes within a decent price range are completely rented out!  I have noticed the same with triplexes (not a bad thing, I know) but I would prefer to pay my mortgage down along side others that would love to help me pay it down by occupying the space itself.

Should anyone have advice on a way to get my foot in the door regarding duplexes, please let me know.  I have been searching daily on Zillow and Real Estate apps to try and find that perfect starter duplex but have come up short.  I have also searched through listings that have been sent to me by realtors and friends of realtors.  I have yet to get preapproved for a first home but may start on that sooner than later.  I just needed to get over the Rich Dad Coaching situation which was going to leave me in the red as far as finances and money to invest with.

P.S.  Should anyone from the South Texas area wish to arrange a Cash Flow 101 game, I would gladly be willing to setup a game at a local venue to chat and learn about our investing habits.  The game is something I enjoy and is also a great educational tool for those that are familiar with it.  I have 202 as well but have had yet to learn the rules as I can seldom find players for 101!  

Thank you for taking the time to read through my rant, I look forward to the learning experience. :)

Loading replies...