Votes
Sara Batchelder
  • Broomfield, CO
Votes |
Seeking advice re: obtaining a Broker's license for investing

Sara Batchelder
  • Broomfield, CO
Posted Nov 14 2016, 08:00

Hi everyone!  I just moved to Colorado and have not yet begun looking for a professional job (I am a CPA who has worked in Corporate Tax for the last 10 years after 3 years in public accounting). My husband and I are planning to invest in 5-10 rental properties over the next 1-10 years, including a mountain vacation rental, and I am debating getting my CO broker's license while I am unemployed. The primary purpose is so I can act as the buying agent and save the buyer's commission/use it as a price-reduction tool on our acquisitions. I may also dabble in 3rd party sales part-time while working as a CPA, eventually switching over to being a full-time realtor as a post-retirement job.

Does anyone have advice or warnings for this plan?  I am questioning the value of having my own license vs. using an experienced realtor for these deals.  It will save us a lot of money in the long run, but I know it will be a lot of work!  I also understand that I would have to find a broker willing to sponsor me (in order to get my license), knowing that I may only end up working my own investment deals - so, not as much commission revenue for them.

Thanks!

Loading replies...